+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: home surge protection

Canuck , I think you misunderstood my point. I have a problem with connecting the surge protector to a circuit breaker . To me , the breaker is the weak link .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Canuck , I think you misunderstood my point. I have a problem with connecting the surge protector to a circuit breaker . To me , the breaker is the weak link .
    Ah, Dan, but the NEC wants the equipment and wire feeding it to be protected. We feed them via a breaker.

I did and I gotcha

Try changing out a surge protector that is before the breaker. Surge protectors are usually installed to protect a particular piece of equipment therefore must be in the circuit for that device. Whole house surge protection is usually installed by the electric company and must meet their specs. It requires the meter to be pulled for installation or replacement. You are not allowed to break the seal and remove a meter.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Canuck , It appears that the manufacturer is more worried about protecting the suppressor than the equipment attached to it .
    If you want to insert a weak link into your protection circuit , have at it .

JL , my computer has been running trouble free on an APC ,
    UPS system for years . When the power goes out , the computer never see's the interruption . I wouldn't be without one .
    I agree with you. We supplied APC's with the equipment we sold and sold APC's to customers to take care of problems they were having. These UPS's take care of about 99% of the electrical surges,brown outs, and noise. I was just attempting to provide a description of their features and short falls.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Try changing out a surge protector that is before the breaker. Surge protectors are usually installed to protect a particular piece of equipment therefore must be in the circuit for that device. Whole house surge protection is usually installed by the electric company and must meet their specs. It requires the meter to be pulled for installation or replacement. You are not allowed to break the seal and remove a meter.
    Jack
    This could go on forever , so I'll make this my last post on the matter . JL , I agree that if you are trying to protect a particular circuit or piece of equipment , connecting a suppressor to the related circuit breaker is the easiest way to do it . Since I haven't used one of those TVSS devices , I didn't realize that was what we were talking about . I thought that it was being used for whole house protection and you can understand my skepticism . Maybe I should pay better attention and ask more questions .