+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Much To Cut This Tree Down???

and remove it from the property cept' maybe leave a lil' firewood. Ball park. Its real accessable...right over the gravel driveway. No wires,,,no house in the way. Way dead. Long Island NY.
    I already got one price today.
    andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dead tree.jpg 
Views:	1017 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	276  
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: How Much To Cut This Tree Down???

Approximate height and diameter? Will any damage occur to just drop it or will it need to be taken down in pieces? Any hauling of debris or will entire tree be left as firewood? You buck up into burnable size or leave 5' to 10' sections for homeowner? Any splitting involved of the bucked wood?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Approximate height and diameter? Will any damage occur to just drop it or will it need to be taken down in pieces? Any hauling of debris or will entire tree be left as firewood? You buck up into burnable size or leave 5' to 10' sections for homeowner? Any splitting involved of the bucked wood?
    Its as big as it looks like in the picture...lol...approx 50'? to the top of the lil' branches? Base of the tree is about 36" the most.
    I want them to take most of it outta here cept for the trunk they can cut into firewood size pieces that I'll split. Not sure what kinda wood it is but if it's sumpin good like mahogany or oak I'm gonna see how much a mill near here wants to cut it up for me into planks but we're not figuring that in right now.
    Thing too is...they don't have to haul the stuff to their truck being its all right in my driveway so that saves some time for them.
    And no damage to anything will occur when sections fall being its over a gravel driveway and lawn.

I'm even "considering" renting a bucket lift and doing it myself....considering is key word
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Couldn't tell from the picture, that sounds like a good sized tree, I'd probably charge around $200 if it can be dropped in one shot. If it's got to be limbed and pieced out, then closer to $400, since the tree would have to be climbed, limbed, and sectioned.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Couldn't tell from the picture, that sounds like a good sized tree, I'd probably charge around $200 if it can be dropped in one shot. If it's got to be limbed and pieced out, then closer to $400, since the tree would have to be climbed, limbed, and sectioned.
    YIKES...I'll pay your airline ticket and supply the saw...lol

BTW...Its a locust tree. Wonder if thats worth making boards out of...hmmm
    How much if it's a SPRUCE tree? LOLOL
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    YIKES...I'll pay your airline ticket and supply the saw...lol

BTW...Its a locust tree. Wonder if thats worth making boards out of...hmmm
    How much if it's a SPRUCE tree? LOLOL
    I don't fly, you'll have to send a limo and driver. And like a great surgeon, my equipment needs to be top notch - nothing but a Stihl will do.

You can get some nice graining from locust. If the tree is long dead, however, you may have trouble finding someone willing to mill it because old wood = hard wood - quickly dulls blades. It won't hurt to check around though. Also, you may find a portable miller who will bring his mill to your tree, drop the tree and make the lumber right there. Could save on overall costs as well as ease transporting the log to a facility for milling.

How much if it were a Spruce? Well, I don't normally take contracts on family, but there are a few that I'd consider ...

$400? Man, Sprucey, you DO work cheap! Holy cow! I had some pricing done on this monster at my place--about 60 feet or more, though--little more convoluted with getting it "out" but still it was THOUSANDS. Of course, they want three times what I paid for the house to fix the chimney, so...I guess they think I'm one of them "Rich" Californians instead of a starving student.

My buddy owns a limo service. He'll be right over. Wear your boots...I'll wear mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
    My buddy owns a limo service. He'll be right over. Wear your boots...I'll wear mine...
    Moon, you had me at limo service ...

Did I forget to mention that my rates included the standard "TOH Buddy" discount?

That's a tree I wouldn't hesitate to cut down myself if it was on my property. The real work is in bucking off the stuff you don't want to burn & chipping it or hauling away.
    BTW- locust is a pretty hard wood to cut & chip up, espesially if you have an old chipper like me. It would take me a day or two with a little help. Locust is pretty rot resistant & prized as fence posts. Not the best firewood, but it burns.

Give it to Moon, she can get it to burn ...