Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Reviews on sandless floor refinishing?

We just purchased a 117 year old house with carpet covering most of the pine floors. We plan on pulling it all up and figure the floors will need to be refinished. Has anyone had any experience with the sandless floor refinishing services/products? It sounds terrific, environmentally friendly, and a real cost and time saver - almost too good to be true! I cannot seem to find any reviews anywhere.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Reviews on sandless floor refinishing?

Do you mean something like Varathane's Renewal?

http://www.flecto.com/product.asp?fr...ct_id=72&SBL=1

If so, I've gone that route by giving the floors a really good scrub (TSP & scouring pad) to get wax & crud off, then a light "pass-over" sand (80 with a palm sander) to give the old finish some "tooth", then a couple coats of poly.

It's a great way to get a nice finish without losing the patina of nice old floors.

However, if your floors are badly beaten or worn through, it's going to look like a half-hearted attempt.

EDIT: if they are old pine floors that were under carpet, they may not have a finish on them at all
    Last edited by notfarnow; 11-01-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Hi Babs
    Check out Sandfree.com. It is a great system using a completely sand free, 5-step water based chemical process. It is dust free, odor free, and the safest process for old floors. It is currently available in Maine, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York, so depending on where you live check it out.
    Avoid claims by some companies that say they are sand free, as they often use acrylic polymers that are the equivalent of Mop N' Glo. Sandfree finishes the floors with the highest quality water based urethayne in your choice of finish.
    We just redid our 110 year old floors, and I am overjoyed. We avoided doing anything for the last 11 years because we didn't want to sand another layer off the original floors and we didn't want the hassle of moving stuff, 3 kids, 4 pets, etc. We never left the house and were back in the refinished areas in 24 hours.
    Tina S

Angry Re: Reviews on sandless floor refinishing?

My mother just used a company called Mr. Sandless. She wanted to freshen the look of the floors and darken them at the same time. They use chemicals to remove the old poly then put down a few coats of clear poly. After that, they mix stain with the poly and put on multiple coats until they get the correct color and top it all off with one final coat of clear poly. They say their average job takes 6-8hrs. This Mr. Sandless franchise just spent 25hrs refinishing my mother's hardwood floors and, after acknowledging that there were still issues they could not resolve, they called it quits. I've already told them not to list us as one of their references. I would not recommend them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tschu View Post
    My mother just used a company called Mr. Sandless. She wanted to freshen the look of the floors and darken them at the same time. They use chemicals to remove the old poly then put down a few coats of clear poly. After that, they mix stain with the poly and put on multiple coats until they get the correct color and top it all off with one final coat of clear poly. They say their average job takes 6-8hrs. This Mr. Sandless franchise just spent 25hrs refinishing my mother's hardwood floors and, after acknowledging that there were still issues they could not resolve, they called it quits. I've already told them not to list us as one of their references. I would not recommend them to you.
    As a former Mr. Sandless franchise operator, I can understand tschu's disappointment. The Mr. Sandless process is quite limited in what it can deliver, despite their claims to the contrary. Most job bids I looked at were beyond what I felt the Mr. Sandless system could adequately handle. Is there discoloration? Water damage(graying boards)? Chipped and/or flaking finish? If you answer "yes" to any of these, I recommend you go with sanding. It sounds as if tschu's mother got a franchisee who over estimated his and the Mr. Sandless process's ability to remedy her floor's issues. Be very leery of promises to "color" your floor. You will first be asked to sign a waiver claiming, basically, that Mr. Sandless will do their best, but cannot guarantee a perfect match. If it were my floors, that would be enough to send me looking elsewhere.

Some of the Mr. Sandless franchises will offer to replace your discolored boards before they begin their process. This will increase the bid, of course, and often negate some or all of the savings you may have seen over hiring a sanding process. These are some things you'll have to weigh before deciding on sandless over sanding. Hope this helps.

ive been around a few jobs where the homeowner brought in such a service, ill some it up pretty easily "waste of money". the last one i was on ws just a few months back, we tore up the carpets and the homeowner had a sandless refinish company come in. the sales guy stated that the floors will look amazing. they looked like the old floors just with a little more shine.

if your floors have any water damage, were coated with shellac or any fading from different areas being covered with area rugs, this service isnt for you. yes there is no dust but its not worth the money. spend the money and have your floors properly resanded.

the only time i would recommend this is if you have newer hardwood floors and have a dog which has scuffed the finish up pretty badly. they can clean that up but any gouges, dings or other defects will still be there when their finished
    fire up the saw and make some dust

These are very curious posts. Someone claiming their “mother” used the service but states “I told them”, a competitor who has a failed franchise system, a supposed “ex” dealer, and a carpenter who probably lost work to the company. How about the truth regarding Mr. Sandless®?

Mr. Sandless is the first and only national refinisher in the USA, with service from coast to coast. They are the only refinisher with locations coast to coast in Canada and with locations in Mexico. The company is also the largest wood floor refinisher by volume in the world, with service is 8 countries. They boast and can prove more than 50,000 unique customers serviced, and there are thousands of positive reviews ****** to prove that. It is quite impossible for the service to be as described here and to have this type of success. They also offer a satisfaction guarantee as well as a five year warranty that no sanding company will touch.

Mr. Sandless was founded and continues to offer professional, quality service on the principles of offering their clients a substantially better looking floor, for an affordable price and with the client’s health being placed above the floor. Want to sand instead? Then you are putting your floor over your health. The EPA lists sanding dust as carcinogenic. California makes sanders put up signs saying the same thing. Just about every finish typically used by sanders and carpenters contains toxic ingredients. Everything Mr. Sandless uses is non-toxic, green certified and completely safe. I’ll bet you didn’t know that Mr. Sandless routinely gets calls from people who had someone sand their floor. They call Mr. Sandless because after two or three months of odor, they can’t take it anymore, and they are calling to have Mr. Sandless seal the floor to eliminate the odor. And guess what? Mr. Sandless is the only company that can do that.

all professional contractors will and do tell the homeowner that their will be dust and noise involved in a project that involves resurfacing a wood floor. it has been proven that hte most effective means of getting a quality finished product will create dust which is hazardous, what not every person knows is that specific species of wood are known to be more hazardous than others not only because of the dust but because of the resins in them. so these professionals will tell the client to leave the space while the work is being performed so they are not exposed to the dust and to allow time to clean up the site.

the big issue people are having which this type of service is that various vendors are telling homeowners that they can make the floors look new again. they cant provide this when there is 70 yr old shellac in the wood which can only be removed by resurfacing. same goes for large gouges and dings, the sandless system can not remove these. this service is a polish job

I am a customer who paid to use Mr Sandless. I have nothing to gain, or lose by writing my review.

We bought an older house with great floors. They were covered in carpet for 40 years and barely used before that. There were no scratches or dents. I told the sales person I wanted my floors to look like a gym floor---HIGH GLOSS. He assured me they would look like that and remain that way for years to come.

Well, if something sounds too good to be true, it is. I had to learn the hard way that $1,000 is not enough to make floors look great.

Even after six months (no shoes inside) they looked dull. They never looked glossy to begin with, but they looked really dull. I bought the mr sandless cleaner and have never used anything on the floor other than the cleaner (mixed w/ water as the label instructs).

My floors are still under warranty, but what's the point?? Am I going to have them come out and redo them? Redo them dull again?? It's a lot of work to move all your furniture to the garage and go to a hotel for two nights, ya know?

So questions for the former franchisee owner and chairman of the board , what do you suggest I do? They never lived up to their promise to begin with.

I recommend Mr Sandless ONLY for homes that need to look good for a quick sell. If you are moving in a month, then go for it. If you plan to live in your home for years to come, then use a better service.

yet another person proving my point, its a quick fix gimmick. proof in the pudding as to why there arent more contractors providing this type of service,

people get there floors refinished so they look new. not so the floor looks like just a fresh coat of varathane mopped on the old floor