+ Reply to Thread

Question Toilet Flange Is not level with Tile !?!?!??

We had a contractor come in and replace the floor in our bathroom. He put a mud job over new plywood, but when he put in the waste pipe, he made the flange level with the mud job. Now that we have put down a tile floor and left a square opening around the waste pipe, should we just proceed to set the toilet or do we need to raise the flange (how do we do that now ?) to the tlevel of the tile ?

-Thanks
    Whooda

Default Re: Toilet Flange Is not level with Tile !?!?!??

That happened to me also. I went to Menards and bought 2 (I neede the height)flange extensions. Then put the 'gooey ring on'They are in the plumbing department. Worked great.

Thanks, I gave it a try, just to see if I could make it work, and of course it leaked......so I'll be looking for a flange extention tomorrow. Thanks.......

There are also thicker than "normal" wax rings that can sometimes be used successfully to make up a small height difference.

At what height is the top of the toilet flange suppose to be level with? I have a 1970 home that had vynal over plywood subfloor. I now want to add concrete backerboard then tile. This of course will make the toilet flange sit lower.The vynal is now removed as I relaced some bad subfloor.What would be the heigth of those extension rings and how many can you use?? Thanks for any Help. THEJOLTJOCKEY

jolt,

Ideally, the bottom of flange should sit down directly on top of the finished floor.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoltjockey View Post
    At what height is the top of the toilet flange suppose to be level with? I have a 1970 home that had vynal over plywood subfloor. I now want to add concrete backerboard then tile. This of course will make the toilet flange sit lower.The vynal is now removed as I relaced some bad subfloor.What would be the heigth of those extension rings and how many can you use?? Thanks for any Help. THEJOLTJOCKEY
    they come in different thicknesses and you stack them to get exactally the right height.

The extension ring I have typically seen are roughly 1/2" thick, and I DO NOT recommend using more than two at a time. Basically do not exceed the length of the bolts. You will end up with a broken flange and a wobbly toilet. Fernco makes a new style Waxless W/C connector that slips inside the closet flange. It can be had for both 3 and 4 inch pipes. It has a VERY sticky adhesive that adheres it to the bottom of the W/C flange. If you are reusing a toilet, you MUST remove ALL the old wax to get it to stick. This is easily done by heating the toilet CAREFULLY with a heat gun or a propane torch and then applying a brown paper bag to the waxed area. The paper bag will wick the wax right up and and then you can attach the Fernco Flange. The beauty is that if you ever need to remove the toilet, you simply unbolt it and lift it off the flange. No more scraping all that wax up and messy cleanup. And, you won't need to by flange extensions.
    Last edited by YankeeConCo; 12-19-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling

extension rings have holes that you can screw them to the floor.

http://www.quickfixplumbingproducts.com/

http://www.renovationexperts.com/toilet-install.asp here they used 3 extensions
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-19-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: add link

You could also pull the closet collar and level up the floor with Hydraulic cement which is redily avaliable. Then just set a new closet collar and fasten it to the floor like a new install. There are even collars that are extended to repair subgrade breaks or cracked risers. I have used the add a flange but if you don't fasten them securely then you deserve to hear people openly rebuke your shoddy work.