+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Please help woman with Mouse problem

I posted this earlier and I am not sure if any one can see it.. So here it is again
    Ok so I am new here An I am a woman...I have A stubborn Mouse or Rat I have tried the following, Stickey pads All over the house dident catch any but the lil bugger put the insolation from the attic around the PB than ate it... I used Decon under house and in some hole None dead.I have small children so I had to be careful...I put out Mice traps I caught 5 all together in a matter of two weeks.. These lil bugggers are smart they started going around them... Ok so Last night I went to my local Walley world and purchased Great stuff (you know what I am talking about if you are on this site )I also purchased the steel wool grade 3 if that helps.. This is what i did.. I have cabinets that the mice or rat is coming in from the space is about an half of an inch wide The cabinets sit farther out than the base board And I think the cabinets is just sitting on a frame..
    I last night figured to block this path off.. I pulled the steel wool apart about 6 inches than stuffed it in the gaps then I sprayed the foam in it...(huge mess I got it all over my hands.. I woke up this morning to A huge mess They chewed it up and just left it there for me to clean... No manners at all.. Well they chewed the foam and pushed the steel wool out.. Can any one help.. What should I do next..should I buy more steel wool and keep spraying the foam... They are smart little buggers.. And I know for a fact it is a mouse or rat.. I have seen it... or them.. Dont know how many are here..
    Please help with the next step I should take...

Default Re: Please help woman with Mouse problem

Wonder if you have a ready food source for the little buggers? Pet food is about the worst but other sources are just as attractive............. We had a christmas gingerbread house stored away that was reduced to rubble.

I would put all food in the fridge or glass/steel/tin containers and keep set traps.

Laughing.............. I had a GF who had a mouse problem. She liked to wear my shirts for some reason to sleep in...... Anyway, she was wearing a snap button denim shirt of mine and went to the garage to get dog food. A mouse was in the food and jumped under the shirt making its way up her back and into her hair. There was a wild shriek and I heard the snaps unsnapping. Next thing I knew there was a streaker........... LOL!

Red face Re: Please help woman with Mouse problem

Hella hilarious I really could see my self doing that... I dont have any animals but fish and I hope they are not trying to eat them that would make me really mad....I have been putting ALL food products in the frig... And in plastic containers The only thing which makes sense is the garbage can They take the food out of there I have noticed Pizza shredded which I thought was the kids..... But I also found my daughters Favorite towel from the laundry basket pulled under the cabinet and when I pulled it out it was shredded...So now I am going to check all cabinets just in case and throw garbage out nightly.I will see about the traps I have a 1 year old and She has access to the kitchen...I don't want her to get hurt if she were to get up in the middle of the night and some how manage to get over the child gate...Is there a safer way to catch the jerk...besides my staying up all night and shooting him with a shot gun... (JK)

Talking Re: Please help woman with Mouse problem

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Wonder if you have a ready food source for the little buggers? Pet food is about the worst but other sources are just as attractive............. We had a christmas gingerbread house stored away that was reduced to rubble.

I would put all food in the fridge or glass/steel/tin containers and keep set traps.

Laughing.............. I had a GF who had a mouse problem. She liked to wear my shirts for some reason to sleep in...... Anyway, she was wearing a snap button denim shirt of mine and went to the garage to get dog food. A mouse was in the food and jumped under the shirt making its way up her back and into her hair. There was a wild shriek and I heard the snaps unsnapping. Next thing I knew there was a streaker........... LOL!
    Thank you for the advice...I took all trash out and found some food the kids were hiding... had a really good talk with the kids.. about cleaning and the mouse.. I woke up to nothing this morning to no mess in the kitchen I also re filled the hole he chewed.. It is working so far... Thank you again...

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    You planted that mouse on purpose, didn't you NEC ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would never!............

Try baiting the traps with molasses mixed with peanut butter. Mice can't resist.

I've had decent luck with traditional mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Sometimes it takes a few shots, but you will get them. The trick is to place the trap in a corner where the mouse's only approach is straight toward the bait. If they approach from another angle, they can accidentally trigger the trap, get away safely, then walk away with your bait leaving you with fat, satisfied mice.

I also suggest buying an electronic rat trap. It looks like a little mailbox that's batter powered. Put some sunflower seeds in the back of the box, and when the mouse or rat reaches the back of the box they get zapped. Those things are strong enough to take out a full grown squirrel, so the failure rate is extremely low.

Whatever you do, don't put out poison. A mouse or rat can eat the poison then die in your house. They can stink for weeks or months.

Do the stuff you're already doing--remove food sources, block up holes, put down traps--but nix the poison. It's a slow, nasty for the mice, and they'll probably die in some inaccessible spot in the wall and stink up your house.

I have heard that peppermint oil will repel mice. It has to be pure peppermint oil, available at health food stores, aromatherapy stores, and some pharmacies, not peppermint extract or peppermint flavoring. I had a minor mouse problem in parts my house, and removing their food (birdseed) and putting down rags soaked in peppermint oil seems to have persuaded them to find another place to stay. But then, I don't think I ever had that many mice to begin with, and found no evidence of them in the actual living quarters of the house, thanks to my two cats. Any chance you could get/borrow a cat? Best all-natural mouse deterrent on the market.

Thumbs up Re: Please help woman with Mouse problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya View Post
    Do the stuff you're already doing--remove food sources, block up holes, put down traps--but nix the poison. It's a slow, nasty for the mice, and they'll probably die in some inaccessible spot in the wall and stink up your house.

I have heard that peppermint oil will repel mice. It has to be pure peppermint oil, available at health food stores, aromatherapy stores, and some pharmacies, not peppermint extract or peppermint flavoring. I had a minor mouse problem in parts my house, and removing their food (birdseed) and putting down rags soaked in peppermint oil seems to have persuaded them to find another place to stay. But then, I don't think I ever had that many mice to begin with, and found no evidence of them in the actual living quarters of the house, thanks to my two cats. Any chance you could get/borrow a cat? Best all-natural mouse deterrent on the market.
    I removed all Food sources and It has SEEMED to work...But I think they are running out side..I am going to look into getting the trap mentioned above.. And That peppermint idea can I buy a bottle of it and Soak rags and place around the outside where they are coming in at..Would that help just in case they are still here and I don't hear or see them...