+ Reply to Thread

Default Recessed Lighting spacing?

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and I need some advice on ligthting my family room. I've read that you use the width of the can to determine the feet, ie. 6" can = 6 ft. of spacing. Is that a pretty good rule to go by? My room is 14' x 24'. I just want to find a good medium of light, not too dark and not blindingly bright.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Default Re: Recessed Lighting spacing?

Was wondering if I should go with 6 or 8 - 6" cans

Quote Originally Posted by Ben75662 View Post
    Was wondering if I should go with 6 or 8 - 6" cans
    Hi Ben, first of all, 6" pot lights are completly out of style, did lots in the 80's.

I recomend using 4" pot lights and if your ceiling is high enough, you could go with 8. If the cieling is under 8', go with 10. on a dimmer for diferent ambient.

ps; don't buy the cheap pots, they will not stay in place and don't give as good lighting.

hope this helps

J C

Quote Originally Posted by jcelectric View Post
    Hi Ben, first of all, 6" pot lights are completly out of style, did lots in the 80's.

I recomend using 4" pot lights and if your ceiling is high enough, you could go with 8. If the cieling is under 8', go with 10. on a dimmer for diferent ambient.

ps; don't buy the cheap pots, they will not stay in place and don't give as good lighting.

hope this helps

J C
    ***! That is news to me. I bid a job this week with 6 cans and they were specified by an architect.

If anything I have not seen incandescent recessed lighting specified for a very long time.

My basement ceilings are right at 8', so I'm not sure on how to go about this. If I were to go with 4" cans, I'd need more than opposed to 6". So should I decide between 10 - 4" or 8 - 6"? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just to light the new family room in the basement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcelectric View Post

hope this helps

J C
    I too would suggest purchasing the most energy efficient cans on the market. Remember you will be living with them and also looking at those for a long time.
    How many, still up to you, using the guidelines on the product.

Mix it up, use both and who says they need to be symetrical? use 10 or 12 with a 3 or 4 different switch legs, 4" 6" 2" be creative, different color spectrums too, have fun with it if you have a tv or a mantle put 2 near it hi spectrum small pot with directional trims to hilight it. any art? sitting chairs? etc etc what else is in the room? any wall sconce? any shelves or bookcases? use the small directionals to show off the good stuff and the big step baffles to flood light in the room. Look at magazines, showrroms etc, Lighting can make a room.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ben75662 View Post
    My basement ceilings are right at 8', so I'm not sure on how to go about this. If I were to go with 4" cans, I'd need more than opposed to 6". So should I decide between 10 - 4" or 8 - 6"? I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just to light the new family room in the basement.

Thanks
    You might still see 6" installed in comercial jobs. for the basement, definitly 4" and , yes go with 10, you can have a couple of switches to control, this way you can turn the ones in front of tv off for better viewing and a dimmed ambience surrounding you.
    J C