+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default No Ceiling Fixtures! Need Help

hi guys, we live in a house that has no ceiling fixtures in the bedrooms and we're tired of the lack of light from the side lamps. The wall switch is obviously controlling the outlet. I am planning on running wire thru the attic if i can get up there, but how do i connect all the wiring? Which wire goes where, what gets pigtailed, which wire goes to which screw and so on?

hope you guys can shed some light ont his for me and thanks for listening

Default Re: No Ceiling Fixtures! Need Help

First look in the switch box. If you only have one cable with the black and white connected to the switch, you will want to drop your overhead line down to the receptacle box. You will fin the cable from the switch with its white connected to a black and its black connect to the receptacle. In this case you would disconnect the switch black from the receptacle and connect it to the black to the overhead, connect the white from the overhead to the other side of the receptacle where there is white wire. Add a pig tail from the switch white/power black nutted together and run that to the receptacle. Now the receptacle is hot and the switch controls the overhead.

If in the switch box you have two cables, you will need to see which one is power and which is to the receptacles. You will drop the over head cable down to the switch box. Remove the power black from the switch and wire nut the power black, the black to the receptacles (removed from the switch), and a pigtail , connect the pigtail to the switch. Wire nut all the whites together and all the grounds together and connect the overhead black to the switch.

If you need a drawing let me know what wires are in the switch box and I'll make one for you.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What your asking for is an instruction on basic wiring. If you need to ask that question then I would suggest reconsidering wether this is a diy project. If you still want to to do it yourself then get an education. Read a book take a class something. If after you do that you have a more specific question this would be the place to come.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    What your asking for is an instruction on basic wiring. If you need to ask that question then I would suggest reconsidering wether this is a diy project. If you still want to to do it yourself then get an education. Read a book take a class something. If after you do that you have a more specific question this would be the place to come.
    I agree with all that.
    If you have to ask all those questions, hire a handyman and pick his or her brain, but only if you fell confident in their work.
    Or take a night class.

Hey, if this isnít a place to come and ask some very basic electrical questions then please point the way to a place that does. I think that there is a place for everything and I think this is a great place to start an education as long as competent members are here and willing to answer.

I do not think electricity is anything to play with and needs much respect but I do think anyone with average or slightly below average intelligence (like me.) is capable of learning basic home wiring.

Iíd rather answer basic questions on a site like this than have people afraid to ask.

Jacks post above pretty much sums up the answer to the question. IMO.

I suppose your right NEC, afterall this is a DIY forum. I get a bit nervous when I see a question that vague, it makes me suspect the ability of the asker. Perhaps what I should have done was directed them to a place where they can get some basic knowledge before shooting them down.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content