+ Reply to Thread

Default What type of outlet is this?

Hi, my 80-year old rental has an odd outlet in the kitchen. I have no clue what type of outlet it is. Someone suggested it might be a phone jack? I attached the picture of it to this thread. Hopefully it works!

Thanks for any help!
    -MPM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	what_outlet.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	271  

Default Re: What type of outlet is this?

I'm not an expert but it looks like it might be a 220v outlet probably for an electric range if it is in the kitchen.

Interesting…………………………………

It’s a configuration I have never seen and the four slots are a mystery. Being that old I would guess it predates a grounded electrical system so I would doubt the notion that it’s two hots a neutral and a ground.

Phone systems were and are still four wire but all of the old phones I remember were hard wired to a wall jack and not of a plug-in type.

I would be very curious to know what type of wiring is connected to the back of the device.

Would it be possible to at least take the cover off and post another close-up picture? You may want to turn the power off just to be on the safe side.

As I recall, but I don't where from, the really old phone jacks had pins, not blades.
    I would guess some kind of 220v outlet too. It looks close enough to a modern one.

Hey, a search for old phone jack turned up this interesting little item.

Definitivly a phone jack? No, but I think it's on the right track.

I've got them in my 1920's bungalow.....attached to Knob and Tube wiring.......They're standard 110 volt.......

They accept either of two different standard cord caps ......the modern parallel-prong cord cap and the larger inline-prong cord cap

My receptacles are polarized....some are a duplex design......the neutral slot is always larger and sometimes even identified with a cross hatch.......

Dad.....a master electrician......used to tell me about equipment of-the-day that would come supplied with two separate insulated "blades" attached to the power cord......You selected which premise wiring was available......

I'll attempt photos