+ Reply to Thread

Default chimenea/fire pit on PT deck

Can you but a chimenea/fire pit on PT 5/4 decking? What material could protect the deck i.e. brick, 2" concrete slab, slate, etc?

I would prefer to keep the protection portable so that I can move the pit in a few years if I screen in part of the deck.

Thanks in advance your ideas.

msr

Default Re: chimenea/fire pit on PT deck

msr: First, check with your local building codes department and fire department. There are products which are fire resistent such as cement-based backer board that could be used. The problem is not only having something that is fire resistent but also having something which will conduct heat through to the deck. Cement-based products do conduct heat reasonably well but if the chimenea is elevated on a stand above the surface it probably will be OK. Also, consider the weight if you may move it in the future. Good luck.

Default Re: chimenea/fire pit on PT deck

Hi, I was searching on 'Terrazo pad' and read your comments.
    Do you know if I can use this pad INSIDE stone fire pit on the bottom? My fire pit is assembled and there are spaces between pieces, and I need something to cover the bottom, so that I can do fire on top. I thought 'lava rocks' first, but then they are used with gas BBQs/chimneys. Maybe there are other choices?
    Thank you.