+ Reply to Thread

Default new steps on existing concrete slab

I just bought a new house with an attached garage. there is no door between the house and the garage so I'm putting one in, but I will also need to put in steps in the garage. I haven't taken exact measurements but I'm sure I will only need two to three steps. Do I need to break up the existing concrete slab (garage floor) in front of the new doorway to pour the new steps? Can I just drill some holes through the existing slab (garage floor), add some rebar vertically and use that to "attach" the new steps to the existing garage floor slab?

Default Re: new steps on existing concrete slab

Quote Originally Posted by civmike View Post
    I just bought a new house with an attached garage. there is no door between the house and the garage so I'm putting one in, but I will also need to put in steps in the garage. I haven't taken exact measurements but I'm sure I will only need two to three steps. Do I need to break up the existing concrete slab (garage floor) in front of the new doorway to pour the new steps? Can I just drill some holes through the existing slab (garage floor), add some rebar vertically and use that to "attach" the new steps to the existing garage floor slab?
    Yes, this part. When you build your form for the steps, make sure to brace it securely so that it doesn't blow out on you. Also, the floor should have some built in slope for drainage, make sure you account for that when setting the forms so that they're tight to the floor and the step surfaces are level in both directions.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!