Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Old pull chain light socket repair

The original poster hasn't been around these forums since over 5 years ago. While your advice may be valid, don't hold your breath waiting for a response.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    The original poster hasn't been around these forums since over 5 years ago. While your advice may be valid, don't hold your breath waiting for a response.
    ***, just noticed
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by OTIS BERRY View Post
    AN OLD GUY ME.
    COUPLE OF OPTIONS BOTH WILL HAVE VERTICAL ROTATION BY THE PULL. IF NOT IGNORE THE SUBSEQUENT.
    EITHER THE SWITCH IS MULTI FUNCTIONAL WITH INTEGRATED WHEEL AND AN EXTERNAL CHAIN GUIDE. OR PERHAPS THE WHOLE UNIT IS CAPTURED INSIDE A CERAMIC BODY.
    SEVERAL TYPES i HAVE SEEN.
    IN THE ONE CASE, THE WHOLE UNIT MUST BE DISCONNECTED AND THE BASE DETACHES AND THE SOCKET BODY WITH INTEGRATED PULL COMES AWAY FROM THE SOCKET OPENING.
    IN THE OTHER THE UNIT IS SCREWED FROM INSIDE THE SOCKET TO THE BODY OF THE CONTAINER.
    IF THERE IS A CARDBOARD/PHENOLIC-LIKE COVERING UNDER THE CENTER ELECTRICAL CONNECTION, THEN DONOT REMOVE THIS SCREW LEST YOU COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLE THE ROTARY PULL.
    Hope this post reaches you, from a fellow old-guy. I have a lamp with two pull-chain sockets. One works properly, the other does not. That is, the working one changes state from on to off when pulled, but the other does not change state. The non-working mechanism does not "advance", although the action rotates and when the chain is released the spring returns the chain and mechanism properly, except that there is no lock-in of the mechanism to the changed state.

Any ideas whether fixable and if so how to fix? I have not tried to disassemble the body of the switch, it is still in the brass lamp-socket housing.

Quote Originally Posted by asilverman1 View Post
    Any ideas whether fixable and if so how to fix? I have not tried to disassemble the body of the switch, it is still in the brass lamp-socket housing.
    Doubt you'll be able to fix it. I have had some success changing out the guts of them though. That is to say, you can put new switch internals into your old switch housing. You'll need to take the old housing to the store with you to match up the parts.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Go to about any hardware or big box store and get a new socket assembly.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb