+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom paneling warped

I put up new pine tongue-and-groove paneling with nails (no glue) in my bathroom last winter. I live in Michigan, so the summer humidity is much different from the winter, and around May, every two feet or so, a seam came away from the wall. It was very disappointing...so much so that I still haven't done anything about it...

I have two questions:

If I just add some (carpenter's?) glue, should I be able to just tack it back up? Is that enough to defeat the expansion? Or did we put it in too tight? Can I just take a little off the end pieces on each wall or should I refit the whole thing?

Also, I realized that I failed to prime the green board behind the paneling! I was in a hurry because it needed to be up before the tub was installed...and of course now it is... Do I definitely need to prime? (I think I already know the answer to that one...)

Thanks to anyone with a little experience to share!

Default Re: Bathroom paneling warped

Your best option is, as you suggest, to take a piece off the first and last boards (about 1/8th of an inch off of each) and after reinstalling the boards, caulk the corners. This will give your wall a little room to breathe. In the future, it is best to prime the tongue-and-grooved paneling before you put it up, especially the ends where they were cut, top and bottom.

Cyril Prendergast
    Your Construction Group
    Kitchen, Bath and Home Remodeler
    Serving the Hudson Valley, New York

www.yourconstructiongroup.com
    Last edited by Cyril Prendergast; 04-02-2010 at 10:16 PM.

It sounds like taking some of the end pieces off will work to solve the problem. Best of luck.Make sure to prime next time.
    _________
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

Thanks so much to both of you for your responses. I ended up taking it all down and priming it, but you've made me confident that with just a little extra room I won't get the same problem this summer. And I'll caulk the corners...

Jennifer