Default Floating floor edge question

I'm installing a floating floor with laminate wood, but I've come across a problem. I understand that a gap must be made along all the edges of a floating floor to keep it from buckling. That's fine in the areas that I have shoe molding; I just install the shoe molding over the gap and no one can see it. The problem is installing it next to our kitchen cabinets. The gap would be out in the open and look terrible. Could I just put more of a gap on the opposite end? Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks!

Default Re: Floating floor edge question

In most homes I've seen, the baseboard is run around the cabinet bases too because the vinyl (typical floor covering) is installed after the cabinets and the edge needs to be hidden. Remove this base, install your floor, then reinstall the base. If your cabinets do not have base, then just leave a smaller gap (1/8" to 3/16") and cover with a small shoe or base that matches the cabinets.

Yeah, there's no edge along the bottom of the cabinets. It looks like the linoleum was installed after the cabinets were and they just took it to the edge. I'll see about getting some sort of matching shoe for the cabinet edge. Thanks!

Most flooring manufacturers have matching mouldings, you may want to stick with that instead of trying to match something to the cabinets. Just a thought. Something else you can do is to install an "L" moulding, such as that used at entry doors and carpet transitions. This moulding has a flat edge to but up against the threshold (in your case, the cabinets ) and a rabbet that goes over the top of the flooring, yet allows plenty of space for expansion and contraction. The moulding will look a lot like this and work in the same fashion.