+ Reply to Thread

Default Garbage Disposal

I have an outlet under my kitchen sink that receives power from my dishwasher. Inside this outlet is the wiring that would power my garbage disposal and wiring to the existing wall switch for the garbage disposal. The garbage disposal and switch are not currently connected and are just capped off (so my garbage disposal is not currently powered). The outlet was formerly used to plug in some sort of "instant hot" water supply at some point. I'm wondering if I can remove the outlet, replace with a junction box and use the power coming from my dishwasher to tie into the garbage disposal and wall switch for garbage disposal?

Default Re: Garbage Disposal

Quote Originally Posted by emhho View Post
    I have an outlet under my kitchen sink that receives power from my dishwasher. Inside this outlet is the wiring that would power my garbage disposal and wiring to the existing wall switch for the garbage disposal. The garbage disposal and switch are not currently connected and are just capped off (so my garbage disposal is not currently powered). The outlet was formerly used to plug in some sort of "instant hot" water supply at some point. I'm wondering if I can remove the outlet, replace with a junction box and use the power coming from my dishwasher to tie into the garbage disposal and wall switch for garbage disposal?
    Yes. But if you have to ask, get an electrician.

Wiring the switch and outlet for the garbage disposal is quite easy, assuming the wiring you currently have is done properly. My suspicion is that power comes from this box to the dishwasher and whomever connected the insta-hot under the sink didn't know what they were doing and disconnected the switch rather than splitting the outlet to be half hot and half switched.

I will let one of the more eloquent electrical guys tell you how it's done.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Actually, the power comes in through the floor to the dishwasher, and then goes under the sink to the single outlet. I assume that it really should go to the outlet/junction box, and then over to dishwasher?

If it were me, I would put a plug on the GD line so it can be unplugged easily for service. Remove the black wire from the receptacle and nut it to the white wire to the switch (permanently remark the white wire from the switch with a black marker) and a black pig tail to connect to the receptacle, break the jumper between the two brass screws on the receptacle, connect the black wire from the switch to the top brass screw and the pigtail to the bottom brass screw. Plug the GD into the top half of the receptacle. The top half will be controlled by the switch and the bottom half will be always hot. Be sure the electricity is off while working on the circuit . If you don't understand these instructions you should probably get an electrician.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb