+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation in a crawl space

I have an extension off of my kitchen that has a crawl space under it. I need to insulate under the floor of the extension and I have access to the crawl space. What type of insulation is best for this area? Faced or unfaced? Does the vapor barrier go up towards the finished floor ? Any advice on the correct way to insulate this space would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Insulation in a crawl space

Howdy, what climate do you have? If cold in winter and the foundation is not insulated i would install R/22 fiberglass batt without any facing. do not install a vapor barrier on the flooring framing but do install plastic on the ground in the crawl space to keep moisture down.

Thanks for the advice. The climate is cold in the winter (NY). The floor of the crawl space is concrete. Should I just tape the plastic shheting down to the concrete or is there a better way to do this?

Howdy the concrete slab was it poured over crushed rock? Was a vapor barrier laid down before it was poured? You do not need plastic over the concrete floor. Be sure no downspouts drain next to the house in this area.