+ Reply to Thread

Default floor joist location in bath remodel

This is really a floor joist question brought on by the desire to move the toilet into a closet I stole from an adjoining bedroom. I just have the required 30 inches, but (of course) there is a floor joist exactly in the center of where I need to put the toilet flange. I would have to cut the floor joist if I were to go ahead with the project. Can I run two new floor joists - one on either side of the existing floor joist, cut the existing floor joist and have the two new floor joists carry the load? Could I run these new joists just between the two closest beams and, with blocking, secure the original floor joist to the two new floor joists? There is a tub near by, but the joist I would be cutting does not directly bear any of the weight of the tub. Does anybody have any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Wendy

Default Re: floor joist location in bath remodel

Not sure what you mean by "between the two closest beams " the short joists would have to be supported on each end and the blocking installed properly to carry the cut off joist.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the reply. We have an open basement with posts every ten feet or so supporting "beams" (is that not right?) that run the length of the house. The floor joists run perpendicular to the beams and sit on top of them. If I were to add two new joists to replace the one I need to cut, they would span about ten feet, so I was thinking I would use 2 12ft 2x8's (to match existing floor joists) so I would have an extra foot on each end to extend well past the beam (sill?).
    I hate blocking, do you suggest joist hangers or toenailiing?
    Thanks,
    Wendy

You can toenail, use joist hangers, or nail through the new joists into the blocking which ever works best for you. You can use a joist hanger, nail through the blocking into the end of the cut joist or toenail the joist to the blocking. Personally I would prefer the joist hangers.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb