+ Reply to Thread

Smile Tile - Adhesive or thinset?

Hello,

So I'm tilling the front hallway (just about 4feet in from the door).... when I went to home depot, I bought some Tile Adhesive by mistake. I used the adhesive since I had it. Now unfortunately, when I stepped on one tile, it cracked. This is probably due to my lousy tile-work, or is it because the glue set's too hard and uneven?
    Any tips/suggestions are highly appreciated.

-Rich
    Your music is one-of-a-kind. Now your guitar can be, too... build your own guitar with our fantastic Guitar Kits. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Default Re: Tile - Adhesive or thinset?

It could be many things. You may have used the wrong type of tile, porcelain doesn't hold up well to traffic. The substrate may be uneven, causing a pocket under the tile. You may not have used enough adhesive to fully coat the back of the tile, leaving a portion unsupported. If on slab, the slab may have cracked and it's telegraphed through the tile. A pre-existing crack that wasn't addressed prior to the tile would cause the same problem. Whether replacing the tile will cure the problem or not will depend on what caused the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks... I'm pulling the tile out tonight and see if anything looks "uneven"... although I think I did purchase a porcelaine tile! I could swear the box said "for flooring", but could be makeing that up. No preference on whether to use thinset or adhesive?
    Thank you
    Your music is one-of-a-kind. Now your guitar can be, too... build your own guitar with our fantastic Guitar Kits. Hidden Content Hidden Content

I've used both. Adhesive is easier to use, IMHO. I like the "sticky" factor, particularly when setting wall tile such as a shower surround. Most of the floors I've done have been with thinset. It's probably the best product for floors since it dries completely hard where adhesive tends to be just ever so slightly gooey/soft when cured.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks again. Now I understand why there is an odd feeling that the glue is not 100% set. Oh well. Live and learn. Next time I'll use Thinset on flors and keep the adhesive for the bathroom project.

You're welcome.