+ Reply to Thread

Default 1890 Inn Going green? Should I Convert to electric baseboard?

I am planning an extensive renovation of an 1890 seashore Victorian in Bay Head NJ that was originally built as an Inn. My plans are to remove the existing plaster walls to the studs, with new insulation, sheetrocking, new electric, plumbing and adding Central Air throughout the 3 floors with new duct work. I am planning on installing solar panels to the home. I would love to make the home as close to self sufficient with energy as possible and am researching replacing the natural gas hot water baseboard with electric baseboard. This would make the home entirely run by electric which would hopefully be entirely powered by solar.

My concerns are whether the electric baseboard can sufficiently heat a 600 square foot room with 10 foot ceilings? If so, how many would I need at how many watts? I have the ability to put in natural gas forced hot air on the 1st floor and electric on Floors 2 & 3 where the ceilings are lower but would prefer to do all electric if possible. Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

Default Re: 1890 Inn Going green? Should I Convert to electric baseboard?

Good for you going sustainable ... Consider getting some bids for heating types and energy costs. Heat pumps are a good choice. Geo thermal an outstanding choice but $$$$. Consider a solar batch water heater and save 1/3 utility costs. Write me once you decide as i too going green an enjoy learning what others are doing.....

Ah but if you are going to go geothermal, which I would love to do there are amazing tax incentives right now. And from what I understand the ROI could be about 15 years.

Can't get much greener than geothermal. Timothy's suggestion is great. There are a lot of companies that will do energy audits, but you might need an energy analysis. They look at your current bills, energy use and home environment and will create a report recommending "your" best energy options detail cost, yearly energy savings and roi.

Electric resistant heating is the least efficient forms of heating. It's only advantage is it's ability to have zone control in each room and shut off individual rooms. However, the same can be achieved in several other ways such as a well designed zone control system with a 2 stage heat pump.

Natural gas is still a lot cheaper for heating than a heat pump, at least below 45F. That's still the best option overall.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBayHeadHouse View Post
    I am planning an extensive renovation of an 1890 seashore Victorian in Bay Head NJ that was originally built as an Inn. My plans are to remove the existing plaster walls to the studs, with new insulation, sheetrocking, new electric, plumbing and adding Central Air throughout the 3 floors with new duct work. I am planning on installing solar panels to the home. I would love to make the home as close to self sufficient with energy as possible and am researching replacing the natural gas hot water baseboard with electric baseboard. This would make the home entirely run by electric which would hopefully be entirely powered by solar.

My concerns are whether the electric baseboard can sufficiently heat a 600 square foot room with 10 foot ceilings? If so, how many would I need at how many watts? I have the ability to put in natural gas forced hot air on the 1st floor and electric on Floors 2 & 3 where the ceilings are lower but would prefer to do all electric if possible. Any thoughts greatly appreciated..
    Thanks you for sharing