+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rooftop antenna and gas main

In a recent AskTOH episode, Kevin went to a home to install a rooftop antenna. The homeowner was getting zero reception with the changeover to digital. During the installation of a chimney mounted antenna, the installer ran a ground wire from the antenna to earth. I noticed that when they were "earthing" the antenna that right next to it as a gas meter. So my question: is that a safety issue? I have been thinking about moving my antenna from the attic to my chimney, but would have a similar grounding issue. The only place I can earth the antenna is in proximity to my natural gas meter. Would a lightning strike potentially ignite the gas? Violently, like, blow my house up?

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

id say ground it where ever ya can. the only way for an explosion to happen youd have to have a gas leak already.. and ive driven ground rods right next to gas pipes before.. just dont drive a rod into the pipe!! youll be fine

I saw this episode. I am genuinely concerned about what is being broadcast. There were so many code violations in this segment, I lost count. I am a licensed Master Electrician, BTW.

The antenna ground is REQUIRED to be bonded to the buildings electrical system (not optional). The "ground rod" they used was not appropriate or sufficient. The grounding method utilized was unacceptable. No ground block or arrestor was installed (preferably outside the building).

I would consider the installation, as demonstrated, not only unprofessional - but dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
    There were so many code violations in this segment, I lost count. I am a licensed Master Electrician,
    Keep in mind that regional codes are not the same for every location. Antennas in my area are installed as shown by the TOH program. This is not an area prone to electrical storm activity, that may be why the installer was able to use the method shown on the program as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
    I saw this episode. I am genuinely concerned about what is being broadcast. There were so many code violations in this segment, I lost count. I am a licensed Master Electrician, BTW.

The antenna ground is REQUIRED to be bonded to the buildings electrical system (not optional). The "ground rod" they used was not appropriate or sufficient. The grounding method utilized was unacceptable. No ground block or arrestor was installed (preferably outside the building).

I would consider the installation, as demonstrated, not only unprofessional - but dangerous.
    I think you will find that no bonding is required because there was no ac rotor installed, no amplifier, only signal wires so only lightening protection required, no arrestor for the same reason. They didn't show what rod they used so I can't comment on that.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

So, other than some disagreement about local codes (which I agree can be a safety issue), the fact that dissipating megavolts of electricity from a lightning strike a foot from the gas main is not a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by tperki View Post
    So, other than some disagreement about local codes (which I agree can be a safety issue), the fact that dissipating megavolts of electricity from a lightning strike a foot from the gas main is not a concern?
    Without there being a leak or rupture, probably not. You know how the gas company taps new service to the main line, don't you? They weld a new nipple onto the live gas line. Once that's done, they tap the line then install a valve.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tperki View Post
    As far as the NEC is concerned isnt. But then again the NEC is a minimum standard not a guideline. Considering your basically installing a big lightning rod I would agree that moving it over 6 or 8 feet may not be a bad idea. you can do that just by burrying it.

I to thought that instalation on the show was a bit particular but mainly because the guy didnt have the right tools for the job and didnt know how to use a pair of linemans. The grounding point is interesting I also thought it would have to be tied to the gec if for no other reason to prevent a difference in potential between antenna equipment ground conductor and service equipment ground conductor, just like when the cable company has to bond there egc to the gec. Also, I dont know what state they were in but here in Jersey the instalation of a GEC would require a licensed electrician and a permit. But hey if walmart can install tv outlets witout a license / permit and inspection why should it apply to anyone else....
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

It was not totally clear but I believe that the installer wrapped the alum ground wire in the wrong direction under the screw on the antenna as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    As far as the NEC is concerned isnt. But then again the NEC is a minimum standard not a guideline. Considering your basically installing a big lightning rod I would agree that moving it over 6 or 8 feet may not be a bad idea. you can do that just by burrying it.

I to thought that instalation on the show was a bit particular but mainly because the guy didnt have the right tools for the job and didnt know how to use a pair of linemans. The grounding point is interesting I also thought it would have to be tied to the gec if for no other reason to prevent a difference in potential between antenna equipment ground conductor and service equipment ground conductor, just like when the cable company has to bond there egc to the gec. Also, I dont know what state they were in but here in Jersey the instalation of a GEC would require a licensed electrician and a permit. But hey if walmart can install tv outlets witout a license / permit and inspection why should it apply to anyone else....
    Well let's use a little common sense here. The lightening has travel thousands of feet to get to the antenna so you really thing 6 or 8 feet would make a difference?

The reason you don't connect to the GEC is because lightening can then be directed directly into the household electrical system.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb