+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Rooftop antenna and gas main

    In a recent AskTOH episode, Kevin went to a home to install a rooftop antenna. The homeowner was getting zero reception with the changeover to digital. During the installation of a chimney mounted antenna, the installer ran a ground wire from the antenna to earth. I noticed that when they were "earthing" the antenna that right next to it as a gas meter. So my question: is that a safety issue? I have been thinking about moving my antenna from the attic to my chimney, but would have a similar grounding issue. The only place I can earth the antenna is in proximity to my natural gas meter. Would a lightning strike potentially ignite the gas? Violently, like, blow my house up?

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    id say ground it where ever ya can. the only way for an explosion to happen youd have to have a gas leak already.. and ive driven ground rods right next to gas pipes before.. just dont drive a rod into the pipe!! youll be fine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    I saw this episode. I am genuinely concerned about what is being broadcast. There were so many code violations in this segment, I lost count. I am a licensed Master Electrician, BTW.

    The antenna ground is REQUIRED to be bonded to the buildings electrical system (not optional). The "ground rod" they used was not appropriate or sufficient. The grounding method utilized was unacceptable. No ground block or arrestor was installed (preferably outside the building).

    I would consider the installation, as demonstrated, not only unprofessional - but dangerous.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,240

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    Quote Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
    There were so many code violations in this segment, I lost count. I am a licensed Master Electrician,
    Keep in mind that regional codes are not the same for every location. Antennas in my area are installed as shown by the TOH program. This is not an area prone to electrical storm activity, that may be why the installer was able to use the method shown on the program as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,842

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    Quote Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
    I saw this episode. I am genuinely concerned about what is being broadcast. There were so many code violations in this segment, I lost count. I am a licensed Master Electrician, BTW.

    The antenna ground is REQUIRED to be bonded to the buildings electrical system (not optional). The "ground rod" they used was not appropriate or sufficient. The grounding method utilized was unacceptable. No ground block or arrestor was installed (preferably outside the building).

    I would consider the installation, as demonstrated, not only unprofessional - but dangerous.
    I think you will find that no bonding is required because there was no ac rotor installed, no amplifier, only signal wires so only lightening protection required, no arrestor for the same reason. They didn't show what rod they used so I can't comment on that.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    id say ground it where ever ya can. the only way for an explosion to happen youd have to have a gas leak already.. and ive driven ground rods right next to gas pipes before.. just dont drive a rod into the pipe!! youll be fine
    i cant believe some of these posts that im reading. any time you dig,plant,change the grade of your yard YOU MUST CALL DIG SAFE ITS FEDERAL AND STATE LAW!!! a home owner was digging a hole for a mail box post and blew up his home because he hit the gas service. i will leave it with that

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    id say ground it where ever ya can. the only way for an explosion to happen youd have to have a gas leak already.. and ive driven ground rods right next to gas pipes before.. just dont drive a rod into the pipe!! youll be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by robert m View Post
    i cant believe some of these posts that im reading. any time you dig,plant,change the grade of your yard YOU MUST CALL DIG SAFE ITS FEDERAL AND STATE LAW!!! a home owner was digging a hole for a mail box post and blew up his home because he hit the gas service. i will leave it with that!!!!
    you will also be held liable

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    So, other than some disagreement about local codes (which I agree can be a safety issue), the fact that dissipating megavolts of electricity from a lightning strike a foot from the gas main is not a concern?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7,240

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    Quote Originally Posted by tperki View Post
    So, other than some disagreement about local codes (which I agree can be a safety issue), the fact that dissipating megavolts of electricity from a lightning strike a foot from the gas main is not a concern?
    Without there being a leak or rupture, probably not. You know how the gas company taps new service to the main line, don't you? They weld a new nipple onto the live gas line. Once that's done, they tap the line then install a valve.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Rooftop antenna and gas main

    Quote Originally Posted by robert m View Post
    iam a natural gas tech you CAN NOT install any type of grounding wire to a gas service. i have seen this done many times in the field. we were called to a home because of a strong smell of gas.we had to evacuate the home because we were getting gas readings in the basement. the home was struck by lightning that night. it hit a ham radio antenna that was grounded to the gas service. when we dug up the service three feet of it was melted. anoter time we wre cutting off a service because the home owner switched to oil and when we were cutting the service(this is done live and we use air powered tools) the gas ignighted because the electriction grounded the electrical to the gas service no one was hurt in both circumstances. allways call your your natural gas provider any time you are working in your yard they will be happy to help. in both instances the outcome could have been deadly!!!!
    unless you are a natural gas tech you should not be giving advice on this subject sorry i dont mean to be a jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Without there being a leak or rupture, probably not. You know how the gas company taps new service to the main line, don't you? They weld a new nipple onto the live gas line. Once that's done, they tap the line then install a valve.
    Last edited by robert m; 11-28-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •