+ Reply to Thread

Default sunroom condensation problem

This is my first time posting. I'm looking for advice on our sunroom. This room is an addition to our house, Size is approximately 15 x 25. 1 wall is brick, the other 3 walls are cedar siding. The ceiling is cathedral style and also has cedar siding. The room contains a TV viewing area & hot tub. The hot tub is only filled during the winter months. The foundation is concrete with a crawl space underneath. There is no ridge vent on the roof. This addition was completed in 2001.

Several boards at the peak of the ceiling have started to noticeable darken, as though they have mold/mildew. At times over the years, we have had moisture buildup on the ceiling. We've even had drops hit us in the head! My first thought was the hot tub. However, the hot tub was emptied in March. In May, the recessed lights were replaced. Now, in Nov, our new recessed lights show noticeable signs of condensation on them. The hot tub has no water in it.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: sunroom condensation problem

The hot tub is not the only source of water vapor in your home (toilets, cooking, breathing, fish tanks, showers, baths etc) and the sun room probably has a lot of glass and a thermal differential that tends to result in condensation on cool surfaces. I suggest you dehumidify your home (with a dehumidifier) or vent it actively with a wall fan in the sun room.