+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happened 2

Default What happened 2

****hiller and A.Spruce of course you guys are right,amazing how we somtimes miss the obvious cause Thanks.I have put weed and feed on the yard,once in June and again in August,no luck.The weeds are about 1 inch in diameter and resemble a lilypad,you know the things frogs sit on.Its been a pretty dry summer here in West Virginia.Anymore ideas.Also,im new here,how do i delete my question once its answered.

Default Re: What happened 2

I don't know what the original question was, but liquid weed killers tend to work better. At the very least granulars need to be applied to damp foliage so it will stick.
    Sounds like you might have plantains. If so the are easy to kill when they are growing with Speedzone & other liquid broadleaf weed killers.
    No need to delete original question. It may help other people & it eventually fades into the background.

Well of course we were right ... Now if we only knew about what ...

As I recall you had retrenched some irrigation or drain lines and have weed problems over the trench and surrounding area. Your plight is exactly why it doesn't do much good to use round-up on an area prior to rototilling and replanting. All topical weed killers do is kill foliage and existing plants, it does nothing to seed, for that you need pre-emergent, which prevents the germination of seed - all seed- so any new planting must be established, such as sod.

Ed21 has a good point, a liquid herbicidal attack on broad leaf weeds may be the way to go. Lawn broad leaf herbicides are generally formulated for particular grasses or grass blends, so that it leaves the grass alone and goes after the weeds.

Don't worry about old thread deletion, old threads are beneficial to others with similar problems, and generally they are set to be "pruned" after a certain time period. On the old forum, that time period was one year.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I don't know what the original question was, but liquid weed killers tend to work better. At the very least granulars need to be applied to damp foliage so it will stick.
    Sounds like you might have plantains. If so the are easy to kill when they are growing with Speedzone & other liquid broadleaf weed killers.
    No need to delete original question. It may help other people & it eventually fades into the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Well of course we were right ... Now if we only knew about what ...

As I recall you had retrenched some irrigation or drain lines and have weed problems over the trench and surrounding area. Your plight is exactly why it doesn't do much good to use round-up on an area prior to rototilling and replanting. All topical weed killers do is kill foliage and existing plants, it does nothing to seed, for that you need pre-emergent, which prevents the germination of seed - all seed- so any new planting must be established, such as sod.

Ed21 has a good point, a liquid herbicidal attack on broad leaf weeds may be the way to go. Lawn broad leaf herbicides are generally formulated for particular grasses or grass blends, so that it leaves the grass alone and goes after the weeds.

Don't worry about old thread deletion, old threads are beneficial to others with similar problems, and generally they are set to be "pruned" after a certain time period. On the old forum, that time period was one year.
    A.spruce,how do you think i should add seed?Its fall and a good time to seed for next year.Do you think just heavy reseeding over the yard will help correct the damage i caused

Every location is a little different. What I do here in California is to broadcast the seed over the whole yard, heavier in bare/sparse areas. Then I spread compost over the entire yard, maybe about 1/2" or so, raking it into the grass. This gets the seed down to the soil and covered to protect it from birds and critters. Come spring things are sprouting and quite happy. If you're in a frost zone, then this may be too late or bad time of year for you - wait until the first signs of spring and do it then.

BTW, I make my own compost, so it's easy enough to do this method. Most landscape suppliers have both natural compost and compost made from municipal green wastes. The difference between the two is the natural compost is clean and a specific material, whereas the municipal compost usually has a fair amount of plastic and debris and it's made from whatever people are tossing into the green waste bin.