+ Reply to Thread

Default My Garage is falling apart

Hello,
    I need some advice. Our garage is about80 years old and has been a bit neglected over the years. If you see the pictures at the end of this post you'll see that the entire front side of the garage has eroded away, (Wood decay) It seems that the only thing holding up this side of the garage is the garage door tracks. Is this something that can be fixed or is the garage totally condemned? Thanks P.S. You should know that we live in a flood plain and that part of the garage gets flooded at least once a year.

Default Re: My Garage is falling apart

There's absolutly no reason it can't be fixed...thats up to you if you wanna spend the time. If it were me...I would. If you were a little closer than across the pond (LI Sound) I'd even do it for you. To me it's no biggie.
    Get lots of pressure treated timbers..your sawzall...stainless steel nails and screws...some PL Premium, and some tunes and get to work. You should have it done in a weekend!
    Whatdidya need to come here for inspiration? LOL
    PS...Home Depots open Sundays so no excuses.
    I wanna see pictures as you go along
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Nothing there that can't be fixed. I would be inclined to remove the lower 6" to 12" of the wall and install a concrete foundation/curb. This will keep the structure out of flood waters and prevent future damage.

Looks like a bonfire waiting to happen . If money wasn't an issue , I'd tear it down and build something nicer . Maybe expand it a little . All of the original " charm " is long gone .
    But what the heck do I know ?

I'm inclined to ditto A.Spruce on this.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Looks like a bonfire waiting to happen . If money wasn't an issue , I'd tear it down and build something nicer . Maybe expand it a little . All of the original " charm " is long gone .
    But what the heck do I know ?
    That is an option, although once it's gone, then "new construction" rules and codes apply, whereas repairing this structure the rules won't be as stringent. If this garage is closer to lot lines or other things than current codes allow, it could be difficult to impossible to get clearance to build a new structure, even if the foot print doesn't change.

I'd check all options before deciding which way to go. The building department will give you set back regulations and permit costs. Your local CC&R's may apply, as well as any governing association body.