+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I glue Underfloor Insulation Batts?

This may sound really dumb, but can I use a Liquid Nails type product to glue the vapor barrier of R-19 fiberglass batts to my subfloor?

I have a very cramped crawlspace (maybe 2-feet from bottom of joists to dirt floor) and it is taking me forever to tuck the batts in properly (vapor barrier to the subfloor), drill some screws in the joists and run twine perpendicular to the joists to hold the batts in.

Can I just slather some Liquid Nails on the subfloor and press the vapor barrier side against it? Don't know if it matters, but I live in Southern California (gets pretty chilly at night in the wintertime).

Thanks ahead for any help you may be able to offer.

Rob

Default Re: Can I glue Underfloor Insulation Batts?

Howdy you can get joist straps made to hold the bats into the joist bays almost anywhere insulation is sold. lots easier then your method . Also you do not want a water tight seal on insulation in joist cavities need to allow moisture a way out....e

Thanks for the reply... I really appreciate it. But here's my dilemma: I'm 6'4" and really struggling to maneuver down in my super-tight crawlspace. Doing anything that involves screwing or nailing is extremely slow and frustrating.

Do you think it would be alright if I just ran a single, squiggly line of Liquid Nails along the subfloor... just enough to hold the insulation in place, but not enough to form an airtight seal?

Thanks again!

Rob

The joist ties do not need any nailing to install. The metal is made so the spring tension holds them in place. Again way easy to install in tight places ....
    I'm 6'3" old and achee but like to do it all my self. But the labor to do this work might be a very minor cost have ya considered a bid ...Got any small friends you could trade some labor for this job.... just a thought.