+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy issue with heat in house

I have an older home... about 50 years old. We bought this tri-level three years ago and noticed the strangest thing about the house... one side of the house... the side that includes the basement and the upstairs is HOT, HOT, HOT if you leave the thermostat at anything above 60 degrees... the other half of the house, however, is CHILLY !!! There was a garage attached to this house, but at some point it was converted into an in-laws quarters... with it's own space heater furnace...there is a connecting door to the main house that is usually closed during the winter time.... the attic of this in laws quarter structure has been insulated.... there is also a sunroom that leads off of our dining room. The family home has new windows... the in-law quarters still has the old wood window frames... last year, in the sunroom, thinking that this is where the cold was coming from, we added plastic to all windows AND installed insulated curtains.... NOT ONE BIT OF DIFFERENCE !!! still ran around bundled up!! grrrrr.... we are having the ducts cleaned next week.... hoping this is one of the reasons this part of the house is so cold... but i'm not holding out any hope !!! if anyone has any idea of what is going on with this house, please! please! let me know... thanks in advance!!! ALSO... i did notice when i have climbed up in the attics...(there are two) that the outside of my house seems to be a metal siding... not sure if this would have any bearing... since the suffocating upstairs also has the same metal siding on the exterior walls...
    Last edited by barbiejocain; 10-13-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: adding more information

Default Re: issue with heat in house

barb,

Sorry, but.....it sounds to me like you need a competent HVAC company to come out and assess the total situation. There's simply no way to determine what your problem is/might be...on a forum.

Default Re: issue with heat in house

What is the location of your thermostat? Is their more than one?

I don't know much about HVAC but I do remember from science class that hot air rises. So if the thermostat is in the lower level, as those rooms warm, there would be warm air from there rising to the upper level. Another thought; if your system is on a single zone, your 'hot zone' might be where the heating system starts, and the 'cool zone' might be the end of the line, so to speak. If it's cold enough outside, and the hot water run is long enough, it may not be hot at all when after it makes its way through the house. You might also check and see if the lines in the basement are insulated. If you have a cold basement, you will lose a lot of heat there.

I'm not trained in HVAC, but am an experienced homeowner, and these are the areas I would be looking.

--Jim