+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Grounding old oulets

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Kent,
    Andy stated that a ground rod was installed a a ground wire was run to the panel.

Even those surge suppressor power strips used to protect computers from surges require a ground to work.
    Jack
    Andy did state that the wire was brought to the panel but did not elaborate on whether the neutral was then bonded to the grounding system at that point. Point being
    that if any "hot to ground" fault occurs the breaker will not see enough of the fault and will not trip unless that bond is made. This is more of a life safety hazard than having no ground at all.

I had not thought about it at the time but you are 100% correct on the power strips with regard to surges and electronic protection being cleared back to the grounding conductor.

I usually try and answer electrical questions per NEC and like the NEC with life safety taking priority over all.

Kent,
    You've made a good point about the neutral /common junction. I may have errored in thinking that if an "electrician" did the job he knew that. I shoudn't have considered the rest of what he said.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Kent,
    Andy stated that a ground rod was installed a a ground wire was run to the panel.

Electronic equipment use filters to ground to remove electrical noise, surges, EMI, and RFI . It may be as simple as an RC network tied to ground to some fairly complicated circuitry. Even those surge suppressor power strips used to protect computers from surges require a ground to work. In doing surveys before the installation of electronic equipment, a proper ground was one of the first things we checked for and required. Jack
    Jack ... wouldn't this only apply to devices with a ground plug ... any device that has only 2 prong plugs wouldn't have this consideration.

Canuk,
    You are correct 2 prong plugs do not need ground but how do you know what is going to be plugged into the outlet. It may be a lamp today and tomorrow they may rearrange furniture and put a computer desk there.

Do you know why the newer 2 prong plugs have a wide and a narrow prong and why it is important to wire up a lamp with the right wire to the narrow and wide prong?

Jack

Do you know why the newer 2 prong plugs have a wide and a narrow prong and why it is important to wire up a lamp with the right wire to the narrow and wide prong?

Jack
    Ohh,Ohh, I know, I know!

Canuk,
    You are correct 2 prong plugs do not need ground but how do you know what is going to be plugged into the outlet. It may be a lamp today and tomorrow they may rearrange furniture and put a computer desk there.
    Jack
    Yep ... what will be plugged into the outlet can change.
    Sorry I wasn't clear with my post .... to qualify electronic equipment.

You mentioned : Electronic equipment use filters to ground to remove electrical noise, surges, EMI, and RFI . It may be as simple as an RC network tied to ground to some fairly complicated circuitry ... these would have a three prong plug. In cases it would be ideal to provide isolated and dedicated grounded circuits to these but not very practical for residential applications.

You are absolutely correct in order for them to utilize the filtering circuitry they would require a grounded circuit .... though they would operate on a non grounded circuit just without the proper filtering designed into them .

The common AC powered electronics that utilize a two prong plug won't have this consideration since they don't require and have no connection to ground.

Oops... straying off topic a bit.

What's the prize ... a NEW car or a Halloween pumpkin ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's a hint . " Lamp socket "

Okay you's wise guy's............. If you are using two wire "zip" cord to feed said socket in a table lamp which wire should be used for the neutral?

Go ahead................ no fair googling either.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Yep ... what will be plugged into the outlet can change.
    Sorry I wasn't clear with my post .... to qualify electronic equipment.

You mentioned : Electronic equipment use filters to ground to remove electrical noise, surges, EMI, and RFI . It may be as simple as an RC network tied to ground to some fairly complicated circuitry ... these would have a three prong plug. In cases it would be ideal to provide isolated and dedicated grounded circuits to these but not very practical for residential applications.
    How about variable speed drill with 3 prong plug?
    How about a refrigerator with a 3 prong plug?
    How about an antenna rotor control with a 3 prong plug?
    There are a lot of 3 pronged items used in the home.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Okay you's wise guy's............. If you are using two wire "zip" cord to feed said socket in a table lamp which wire should be used for the neutral?

Go ahead................ no fair googling either.
    Kent, The real question is why?
    Jack