+ Reply to Thread

Default Engineered Hardwood Floors

We have just had a new engineered hardwood floor put down after the previous engineered floor had water damage. The installers did not level or properly clean the floor this second time and this resulted in many areas of air pockets where the floor did not adhere. They want to patch by drilling holes and filling with glue. I have read many areas on the internet that say this is not the way to go. Should we have them take up the floor again and start fresh? These same installers did not use a level for the kitchen tile floor resulting in some corners being higher than others and air pockets as well. What to do here?

Default Re: Engineered Hardwood Floors

If the floor is not installed properly, then remove and reinstall in the correct manner would be the preferred. I've never glued down an engineered floor, so can't offer much help there.

The question is, if these installers did such a bad job on the tile, why did you have them back for the hardwood?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was trusting that they were the experts. They also stated that I did not need a T-mold between tile and hardwood. I have since found out that is wrong. The installation manager will be here tomorrow at 9am and I wanted all my ducks in a row before he gets here as he was quite testy on the phone. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhog View Post
    I was trusting that they were the experts.
    Do this once, shame on them, do it twice, shame on you.

What I mean to say is, an "expert" is only as good as his/their work. If they did a crappy job the first time, then DO NOT bring them back for a second chance, at least not beyond repairing their original screw up. You should NEVER hire someone based on price alone. You should NEVER hire someone you're not comfortable with. and you should NEVER hire someone who's proven themselves to do shoddy work or work that you do not approve of.

My suspicion is that this is a company familiar with unhappy customers and you'll get no more than token acknowledgments for your complaints. I've seen it too many times. Contractors have a reputation only slightly better than lawyers, which is to say that no one trusts us or has much good to say about us. Truth be told, the really bad apples are few and far between, but as with all things, the bad ones are who set the tone for the group. I recommend that when you are done with this company with this latest project, that you burn their phone number and never contact them again for anything! Use recommendations from trusted friends and family, those are always the best. Use your gut instincts when hiring work out, and trust yourself if you don't like them or feel comfortable with them or the work as they describe it. And finally, always ALWAYS question those who come to work for you and question their work if it's warranted.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!