+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cedar trim

Question Cedar trim

I have a idea that I should do this, but thought I would get some input.
    I installed a new bathroom window and installed new interior window trim. I made the moldings out of cedar to match the "cabin" decor in our bathroom.
    Should I put on a clear sealer or oil on the wood to help protect it. Or just leave it as is. I was thinking of a clear sealer to keep the natural look. Whats your input ? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cedar trim

As long as your trim isn’t exposed to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, it shouldn’t gray or lose its natural color.

Wax or a penetrating oil will make the rich even color of your cedar pop. Just wet it with water to see if you like this look.

Avoid putting anything film forming like urethane and varnish coatings, or you’ll eventually have to deal with scratches, peeling and refinishing.

The Western Red Cedar Association has some good information on finishing this lovely wood:

http://www.wrcla.org/installation_an...ng/default.htm

Default Re: Cedar trim

I recently remodeled a bathroom in a home build in the 1940s. The trim was unfinished cedar (some of which I was lucky enough to salvage). It had no water damage at all. The color was a nice dark brown. It really was nice. It seemed to have been there a long time but I don't think it was original to the house. The gentleman living there had been there for 20 yrs.