+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup

Default Sketchup

Anyone get good at it yet?
    Every time I get started I get distracted. Any program like this takes a good while to learn not to mention some dedication.
    I bought Denis Fukai's book "3-D Construction Modeling"(Sketchup)
    http://www.amazon.com/3D-Constructio.../dp/0976274108
    Its a great book that comes with a really good CD. I can't imagine a better book. There's also Sketchup For Dummies but the Youtube videos they refer you to are worthless IMO. Really unclear.
    Denis' book/CD is the best IMO.

I've gotten through some of the basics but haven't gotten any further and when I go back I can see all thatI've already forgotten...ugh...so frustrating.
    What a great tool Google's come up with yet again!
    I need to dedicate two full solid days to it and then keep going back to keep up...its up there on my list.
    Anyone have any good success with it?
    Be well
    andy
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: Sketchup

Downloaded SU last winter and played with it for maybe 15 hours total. Then "other" stuff was beckoning loudly and I haven't advanced farther than that since then. Got fairly good at it...considering. But there's tons more to learn, of course. Always is.

Yes......it's a pretty neat piece of software.....especially considering the price.

I'll perhaps return to it some time this winter. Right now I'm trippin' over my tongue tryin' to cover all the bases before the weather decides to put a noose around my neck.

Sketchup?!?!? Ain't that whatcha put on your hamburger and fries?

I was playing with it the other day. Someone was asking me about some cabinet style and design ideas and I was hoping to be able to make a rough representation of some of the concepts - I wasn't that lucky. It's definitely something that I'm going to play with further.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Sketchup?!?!? Ain't that whatcha put on your hamburger and fries?

I was playing with it the other day. Someone was asking me about some cabinet style and design ideas and I was hoping to be able to make a rough representation of some of the concepts - I wasn't that lucky. It's definitely something that I'm going to play with further.
    I used it once to explain to a potential client why a wall another contractor I was bidding against was wrong saying it was bearing weight. Why the "gable" wall that was to sit on an existing concrete porch didn't need to have the concrete broken to dig a footing for that wall.
    Was nice to email it with my proposal.
    So Spruce...something like this'd be nice for you to do one day soon...(me 2) and email off to a potential client.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=IfdxWa9BA...ums%20director
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

That's going to be way beyond my abilities for a while! It would be really nice to be proficient in the millions of different computer programs out there, but dayum, where do ya find the time?

BTW, the second "line drawings" that were in that little movie are very similar to what I was trying to express to the person asking me the questions. Luckily, I'm pretty good at finding images on the internet that express what I want. Pull them into a photo program to add arrows and highlighted circles and can put that back out in a matter of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    That's going to be way beyond my abilities for a while! It would be really nice to be proficient in the millions of different computer programs out there, but dayum, where do ya find the time?

BTW, the second "line drawings" that were in that little movie are very similar to what I was trying to express to the person asking me the questions. Luckily, I'm pretty good at finding images on the internet that express what I want. Pull them into a photo program to add arrows and highlighted circles and can put that back out in a matter of minutes.
    I honestly feel its worth the effort to learn SU. I DO believe it can help one land more jobs. Out of all the programs I'd have to say SU is the easiest to learn but I also know from experiance it DOES take some undivided attention for a good 2-3 days. I think cabinets may be easier to do than you think using the boxes and the push pull tool although a bad SU design is probably not worth doing at all. I betcha if you gave it a full day of study you could end up doing cabs w/SU.

Maybe thats the ticket!! Maybe when I get back to it cabs might be my first real attempt.
    If you go to Gary Katz's site he does a nice SU of drawers if I recall....That offset tool really helps with cabs!!
    Here ya go
    http://www.garymkatz.com/charts_drawings.html
    It was the--> (::Sketchup Tutorial: Using Layers to Create Animation)
    Hey...don't shoot the messenger...LOLOLOL
    Last edited by andybuildz; 10-13-2007 at 11:08 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I think I'm gonna shoot the messenger...ME...lol
    Can't believe I watched Gary's SU (::Sketchup Tutorial: Using Layers to Create Animation) for the third time...ugh
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I'm no Sketchup pro, but I was able to make a model of my own house after just a couple hours of tinkering. The key to using SU to it's fullest is to download the ready to use components such as doors and windows from the 3D warehouse site.
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse
    I've seen the Industrial Designer at my old job create entire retail store interiors right down to the fixtures with it. It's powerful, but it can also be pretty damn frustrating too!

Smile Google Sketchup

I don't know if this fits under this category but...has anyone here tried Google Sketchup? http://www.sketchup.com/

I do think it's a really cool tool for those who are planning to redesign their homes, garden, etc.
    For quality water features for Outdoor Water Fountains and Garden Ponds check out Hidden Content

Default Re: Google Sketchup

It's been brought up a few times around here, though not a lot of input. I've looked at it a few times and it does look promising if you're willing to spend the time to learn how to use it.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showt...light=sketchup