+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Seasonal Food and Drink

Ed,

Everclear - Pure Grain Alcohol

errrrrrrrr.........social lubricant.

Sprucey,

Yeah, I know what you're up to, ya little bugger.

You'll need more patience if you try brewin' an imperial stout. 6 weeks in the bottle minimum. Pretty tasty then, but usually hit their peak at around 6 months. Really nice at 12-18 months yet.

Pumpkin ale? Still sounds awful to me. (I don't go for raspberry beer or any of that sorta thing neither. Wimmens drinks, IMO) But ........being the open-minded guy that I am, I'll try one of those pumpkin ales....if you bring it over here.

That time investment is what's kept me from experimenting with bolder beers. I also want to try my hand at barley wine and mead, both of which take upwards of a year in the bottle to become palatable. At the moment, I don't have that kind of time or space to devote to it, not unless you're going to put me on the payroll as the official TOH Brewmeister.

I'm not big into "flavored" beers either, though the apple ale that a local pub had many years ago was quite tasty. It was very light, with just a hint of appleness to it. I'll definitely update you on how these two new brews turn out. Tell you what, let's meet in the middle at Kent's house! You bring a few of your brews, I'll bring a few of mine ...

Well, I spent the day in the kitchen brewing up two - half batches of the pumpkin ale and the apple ale. Both went very smoothly and the finished wort was sweet and pleasant flavored. The apple finished out at 2-1/2 gallons with an SG or 1.052 (at 75 degrees), and took approximately 3 hours start to finish. The pumpkin finished at 2 gallons with the same SG as the apple and probably took 4 hours total. Both are extremely promising brews and may require little to no tweaking to bring them where they need to be. I'll share the recipes, my tweaks, opinions, and brewing notes with anyone who's interested.

BTW, I've never made either of these before. I spent several hours researching ****** Saturday for suitable recipes. I combined the ingredients and methodologies from several recipes to make one that looked good for each style.

Come on over fellas, anytime at all.

Everclear.............. The last time I had Everclear was in 1975. Me and a buddy were invited to this girls house and she had a girl friend over. They were pouring us "Cokes". Yeah, right.

That stuff will slap you along side the head!

Come on, Kent. Cough it up. There's more to that story that you haven't told yet.

Paul Harvey wants to know............the rest of the story.

You know how Kent is, he's a teaser! Just a big teaser!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Did you check with " Tabitha " ? I hear she's into Pumpkins .
    Although I'm not sure she's old enough to drink .
    Yep, she's into pumpkins. And, yes, she is old enough to drink. But, no pumpkin ale recipes. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TOH Tabitha View Post
    Yep, she's into pumpkins. And, yes, she is old enough to drink. But, no pumpkin ale recipes. Sorry.
    Gotcha covered Tabitha!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You know how Kent is, he's a teaser! Just a big teaser!!
    Fella’s, fella’s………….. I kind of view TOH as an extension of PBS, know what I mean?