+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Seasonal Food and Drink

Are there any home brew enthusiasts with a good Pumpkin Ale recipe they'd like to share?

Default Re: Seasonal Food and Drink

Pumpkin pie?

Gimme more.

Pumpkin ale?

Egads.

Sounds awful.

Then again.....I ain't no fern-bar kinda guy.

Aw come on ****ie, expand your horizons! Actually, it's the girls that want to try them. I offer every year to do a special brew for them. This is the first time they've taken me up on it and they chose a pumpkin ale and an apple ale. I spent the better part of the day coming up with recipes that looked like they'd be decent from the start. The two that I chose are very close to the pale ale that I already brew, so I think these will work well. I'll be spending tomorrow over the brew pot.

I got my first taste of home brewed pumpkin ale a number of years ago at a fall festival & look forward to it every fall now.
    I don't brew myself, but I got a six of Smuttynose Brewing Co. pumpkin ale at the store last weekend that was pretty good.
    It's a little brewery in New Hampshire that makes a bunch of good beers.

I started brewing a few years ago, though only did it on occasion because of other things going on. For some reason, this fall I've gotten the bug and did my first batch of the year about two months ago, just put the second one in the bottle last Wednesday and started talking to my sister and girlfriend about doing a specialty brew for them. They like the two brews I've mentioned, and so those are next up. ****ie has been after me to do up an oatmeal stout, which I may also do, though I'm not big on oatmeal or wheat beers. The next specialty brew that I want to do involves a chocolate bar and a bag of coffee beans. The brewer at the local pub has offered to share this recipe with me and I'm going to take him up on it. I also may get the chance to shadow him for a few days in the brew house and am looking forward to that, just as soon as he gets back from the Great American Brew Fest that's going on in Colorado right now.

Remind me again why you can't brew your own stout ****ie?

Okay....here's one for "apple pie"......but it ain't no ale. It will knock you socks off though.

1 gallon of apple cider
    1/2 gallon apple juice
    1 1/2 cups of sugar
    4 cinnamon sticks

Bring ingredients to a rolling boil for 3-4 minutes

Simmer 20 minutes

Remove from heat and allow to cool for ten minutes

Add 1/2 of a 5th of EC PGA

Remove the cinnamon

Warning........Use with extreme caution. Your "guests" WON'T realize what they're drinking. Stuff tastes like candy and is very smooth. Designated drivers are a necessity. <G>

Great fall/winter drink which stores well for long periods of time so have some clean bottles handy for all the leftovers.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 10-14-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Excuse me?

Oatmeal stout?

Maybe. Depends.

Iffin' ya want a recipe for some good imperial stout......I got that. Iffin' ya want a recipe for some of that west coast stuff that's passed off as stout........can't help ya. I don't like stouts that taste like sand mixed with waste oil any more than you do.

I did finally find a good pale ale on the market though. Point (made in Stevens Point, WI) Probably not available where you are.

Although I'm not sure she's old enough to drink .

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Okay....here's one for "apple pie"......but it ain't no ale. It will knock you socks off though.

1 gallon of apple cider
    1/2 gallon apple juice
    1 1/2 cups of sugar
    4 cinnamon sticks

Bring ingredients to a rolling boil for 3-4 minutes

Simmer 20 minutes

Remove from heat and allow to cool for ten minutes

Add 1/2 of a 5th of EC PGA

Remove the cinnamon

Warning........Use with extreme caution. Your "guests" WON'T realize what they're drinking. Stuff tastes like candy and is very smooth. Designated drivers are a necessity. <G>

Great fall/winter drink which stores well for long periods of time so have some clean bottles handy for all the leftovers.
    Sounds like the wassel my mother in law makes except for the
    EC PGA. What is it? The 5th part is a clue, but just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post

Excuse me?

Oatmeal stout?

Maybe. Depends.

Iffin' ya want a recipe for some good imperial stout......I got that. Iffin' ya want a recipe for some of that west coast stuff that's passed off as stout........can't help ya. I don't like stouts that taste like sand mixed with waste oil any more than you do.

I did finally find a good pale ale on the market though. Point (made in Stevens Point, WI) Probably not available where you are.
    Aw come on, you know I was just flinging a little poo in your general direction.

I may do a stout, my palate has broadened quite a bit in the last few years. You ought to try my PA, I think you'd like it. It's quick and easy to do, my last two batches fermented out in 3 or 4 days.

That does sound like a wassail recipe. We do a similar one, though we don't put the alcohol directly into it. We make it up, then put it into a crock pot to keep it nice and toasty all day long. Add a touch or two of rum when you pour yourself a mug and you're good to go. It's great as a virgin too.