+ Reply to Thread

Default sagging foundation wall

Hi,
    I am buying a 2 family house built in 1895, here in Worcester, MA. It has a fieldstone foundation that is bowing on one side. I am trying to figure out how big a project, and how expensive, to repair. Floors are sagging so I think I need address this problem. Does anyone know what is the general way to repair? Do fieldstone foundations have footers? Do I have to have the walls replaced one at a time? Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: sagging foundation wall

you really need a professional to look at & evaluate your situation.
    Stone foundations may or may not have some kind of footing. It probably isn't concrete like we use today.
    The sagging floor is probably the result of the foundation sinking.
    I would think twice about buying a house with major foundation problems. It's not generally DIY work & it tends to be expensive.

If I hire a professional any ballpark ideas of cost to replace a foundation wall? $10k. $20k? I have about $20k budgeted for this but not sure how far that gets me?

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr55 View Post
    Hi,
    I am buying a 2 family house built in 1895, here in Worcester, MA. It has a fieldstone foundation that is bowing on one side. I am trying to figure out how big a project, and how expensive, to repair. Floors are sagging so I think I need address this problem. Does anyone know what is the general way to repair? Do fieldstone foundations have footers? Do I have to have the walls replaced one at a time? Thanks for any advice!
    On my circa:1680 house I have rubble rock foundation walls which were in bad shape.
    What I did to remedy the situation was to very very very carefully "hand dig" around the outside perimeter. I made forms that I braced up against the dirt and rock foundation walls.
    I sc****d out all the dirt from the rocks and very carefully power washed the stone joints.
    I then had a cement truck come and "slowly" pour a not too wet mix in which washed into the old stone crevices and tied it all together.
    I do have to say it was one of the more nerve wracking projects I'd ever done.

Lotta stories within that story....whewwwwwww...what a job

I do have to say I know it was a success. All the old plaster walls and ceilings I've replastered have not one single crack in them over five years later unlike what it looked like b/4

Now trying to find a contractor to do this for you may be a bigger feat than the job itself!!
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

That's an interesting and creative solution. Thanks very much for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr55 View Post
    That's an interesting and creative solution. Thanks very much for the idea!
    If by chance you do what I did...be sure to also brace the walls from inside (Don't ask ...lol)
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו