+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crown with a vaulted ceiling

I have a room that I'm going to put a 3 piece crown moulding in. A small section of the ceiling has a vault about 1 ft high and 6 ft long. Should I put the moulding on the vaulted part or finish it at the start of the vault? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Default Re: Crown with a vaulted ceiling

Can you post a picture?

Crown moulding can only be installed on a flat square ceiling, any change of angle will change the angle of cut from one piece to the next resulting in the profiles being off. One cure for this problem is the use of corner blocks that makes the transition and the crown butts into it. There will still be an noticeable angle difference, but the block will blend the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Can you post a picture?

Crown moulding can only be installed on a flat square ceiling, any change of angle will change the angle of cut from one piece to the next resulting in the profiles being off. One cure for this problem is the use of corner blocks that makes the transition and the crown butts into it. There will still be an noticeable angle difference, but the block will blend the two together.
    Ceiling differances yes but what about wall angle changes? Just cope the pieces in.

BTW...not to get off track too much...or hijack this thread...I noticed in the new McFeely's catologue I got in the mail this week they sell a plastic thingy you screw to the wall. Its shaped live a V with one end long that goes under the crown. You slip the crown into the crotch of the V and there's a hole for the screws that allows you to slide the platic bracket off to the left and remove the hanger before you nail the crown home. I think it costs about $28 for a cpl a dozen hangers of so. Seemed pretty cool for one man crown hanging.
    Oh geezzz why didn't I find the link b/4...here ya go
    MAkes you say to yourself, "why didn't I think of that"? lol
    http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-...-Molding-Clips
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    Ceiling differances yes but what about wall angle changes? Just cope the pieces in.
    As long as all angles are in the same linear plane, no problem, but if the linear plane changed vertically, then the issue of profile differences rears it's ugly head. Corner blocks can help, but will still be noticeable, the amount will depend on the difference in the angle of the plane change.

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    MAkes you say to yourself, "why didn't I think of that"? lol
    http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/FSC-...-Molding-Clips
    Sounds interesting. I generally found a second pair of hands to help out, when that wasn't available I used my zip walls to hold things roughly in place until nailed home. No additional expenses or new fangled gadgets. I love my zip walls and use them frequently, they're not just for holding a plastic d****!

[IMG]http://www.****enstateflooring.com/images/products/zipwall/zipwallbig.jpg[/IMG]

Sprucey ... you kinda have that Norm look with your plaid shirt.

Andy ... how's business ? The advertising working out ok ?

Sorry to high jack the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sprucey ... you kinda have that Norm look with your plaid shirt.

Andy ... how's business ? The advertising working out ok ?

Sorry to high jack the thread.
    And with those new timberland boots, N jeans N plaid shirt...betcha when you walk out that door you see his brand new Dodge Ram PU...lol...nahhhhh...he's prolly' more a Ford kinda guy like myself...lol.

Business? Pretty good...I'm actually backed up a but...

with work wize guy...lol
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Thanks for the links ****ie! That's a very interesting way to do the transition.

Maybe this pic will show better?

Now I just wanna learn Etch a sketch from Gary's site...I mean SketchUp...lol.
    I actually bought a great book w/CD but every time I get started something comes up and distracts me. Its on my list though...ugh.OK...sorry for the hijack...i started a new thread about SU
    Last edited by andybuildz; 10-13-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Well...to each his own...

I would personally NOT transition up an angled section of wall with crown moulding. I've seen it shot up stairwells in plaster, and that kind of works...but other than that it just always seems to look wrong even if transitions are used in a way as ****ie suggest.

Faced with a similar situation as described, I would terminate the crown, and the angled portion would be done in a simple 1x planed square, with maybe a small shoe moulding to match the lower edge of the crown [but thats still a maybe]. That sort of 'look' just doesn't look funky and the answer is that it appears to have been thought out that way.

Like I said....to each his own