+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Leaky PVC, I Can't Stop it. Help?!

I have a leaky connection. I have a PVC pipe (2" sch. 40) that goes into a PVC elbow (2" sch. 40), that is leaking right at the connection. There is some water pressure in the PVC. I built a filter system for a fish tank and there is a water pump that pushes the water through these pipes, and unfortunately, I don't know how to stop the leaks. Nor do I know the PSI, but I assume it is very low. I tried using a rubber coupler with hose clamps, but the leak has only slowed, not stopped (I got a "reducer" and fitted it over the pipe and elbow, then tightened the clamps as much as I could, but after awhile the water seeps out). Some people have mentioned a device called a "Union," but I'm not certain how / if this can stop my leaks. So, how can I stop the leaks, without permanently sealing shut the connection?

Thanks Everyone!

Default Re: Leaky PVC, I Can't Stop it. Help?!

You're not going to stop the leak without gluing the connection. If you need to take things apart, then I suggest installing a union into the system so that you can take it apart as necessary. A union will glue to each side of the joint with a threaded collar between the halves.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm going to try that. Do you know of any glues that I can use that are fish safe?

I would imagine using CPVC and CPVC rated glue. The first "C" stands for cross-linked, which reduces the amount of plastic toxins that can leach from the pipe. CPVC is rated for potable water lines, it should be fish safe as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!