I live in an apartment built in 1940. The door jambs are metal, and have hinges that are inserted into the door frame. The part of the hinge connected to the door is screwed on, but the part connected to the jamb looks like it is part of the jamb - it simply juts out, no screws are visable.

Of course, these hinges have been painted over for 60 years, and I was thinking of either replacing them or stripping them, as I paint each room. Now I realize I can't get them off the door jamb! How do I strip these things? I can't remove them. If I strip them, I have to do it while they are still connected, and without damaging the paint around them.

I've never seen hinges like this. Has anyone else? Any ideas?