+ Reply to Thread

Default Frozen Shut Off Valve

I've learned that my MAIN water shut off valve is frozen open. I need instruction on how to turn off the water coming into the house and also how to repair the valve itself. This will be my first valve replacement, so can you give me an idea of the tools needed as well? I'm kind of in a hurry to complete this before winter sets in. Any help will be much appreciated!

Default Re: Frozen Shut Off Valve

First check with your local water company, this valve may be their property, or there may be an outside cutoff they can close so you can cut the old valve out and install a new one.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The main in line runs along my basement wall. Is it still possible that it may be owned by the Water Company if it is inside my home? Can you explain to me how I would cut the pipe and what tools I will need. I know about a pipe cutter, but I don't understand how I would be able to cut all the way around a pipe that is attached to a wall. I'm thinking that I can possibly use a hax-saw. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you very much!

It may or may not belong to the water company, but you will at least have to have them shut off the water coming into the house. If you have a long enough run you may be able to insert wedges behind the pipe to push it out from the wall, if no a hack saw or sawzall may be you only option. Cut it straight and clean up the ends.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Patrolman2814 View Post
    The main in line runs along my basement wall. Is it still possible that it may be owned by the Water Company if it is inside my home?
    The main water lines you're describing would likely tie into a line from outside the house. That line would be the branch feed line from the street .The water utility company will likely have a shut off outside on this branch feed line for this kind of situation. You would need to contact them to come and shut off the water supply to the house from the outside.

Then follow Jack's method .

One other point, if this valve is before the water meter it is most likely the property of the water company.
    Jack

Thinks to self:

I wonder if this valve is soldered on? If so then a torch might be just the ticket for removal of the old valve.

I wonder what type of valve will replace the old one and if it needs to be soldered back on.

Ball valve? That would be my choice.

A valve with any rubber in it? Thinks it would be a good idea to take it apart if it needs to be soldered back on.

kentvw,
    Unless you can remove all the water you can not unsolder it.
    Jack

patrolman,

Any chance of a couple pics?

A look-see would likely help a bunch in dispensing advice and possible approaches.