+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Happened??

Default What Happened??

Last year I had A beautiful back yard.I had to dig a small ditch for a new water line and another for new drainage lines.I have been using a quarterly maintainance product for many years and have a GREAT looking lawn except for where I to dig and its speading very fast.I mean very very fast,weeds like I have never had.What happened??

Default Re: What Happened??

You most likely just uncovered dormant seed in the soil. That would explain the trench lines themselves. If you didn't protect the grass from the dirt in those trenches (by putting soil on tarps or plywood until it was returned to the trench), then you spread the seed that way. You can probably get it back under control by a combination of hand weeding and the use of weed-n-feed fertilizers blends.

Me thinks Sprucey is spot on as regards those dormant/waiting for opportunity.......weed seeds. The seeds were churned to the surface and are now doing what they've were designed to do.

A broadleaf herbicide like "Weed-B-Gone" (which is primarily 2,4,D) will hopefully eradicate the them (without harming the desirable grasses).........providing the "offenders" are all broadleaf weeds.........such as plaintain, dandelions, creeping charlie, chickweed, ragweed, etc, etc.

"Weed and feed" products should do the deed against those broadleaf weeds if applied as specified..... or you could use Weed-B-Gone (2,4,D) applied independantly/without any fertilizer if you prefer.

If you have weeds coming up that aren't all broadleafs, then you'll have to use more specific herbicides to get control of those.

The bestest defense against weeds of any nature is to have a thick stand of grass once the weeds have been eliminated.

The great stand of grass is one essential element of weed control. I've learned over the decades that another is soil PH. I'd bet that the PH of the subsoil turned up when you trenched is of a lower, more acid PH than the topsoil was prior to the trenching. The fact is that most broad-leaf weeds do best in a somewhat more acid soil than that in which most lawn grasses do best. What obviously follows is that if you adjust the PH above the best range for weeds , they don't do so well and the grass does best. I've found that adding pelletized limestone(not hydrated lime)to the fertilizer spreader with every application, a few cups to each 15-18lb spreader load is a good maintenance dose. You might want to hand spread some additional to the affected areas and some space around it. It won't kill the perenial weeds but it'll reduce the spread and push them back to allow the grass to dominate. A little extra hand spread dose seems to work as a way to moderate the effects of road salt from the piles of snow plowed off the street onto our parkway.

Willyvon