+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dripping sound in ducts

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardHomes View Post
    In other words, the ducting moves and also rubs along any lumber or hangers it contacts, the metal boots at the floor opening moving on the nails used to fasten them in place, the main trunks and so on.
    I can see this movement happening, but it's hard to believe that it would sound like dripping.

The popping sound could also be caused by an unbalanced system or not enough return or supply, Check to see if the main trunk has cross bracing (diagonal bends from corner to corner). If it does not have the cross bracing then more than likely it's popping. Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    The popping sound could also be caused by an unbalanced system or not enough return or supply, Check to see if the main trunk has cross bracing (diagonal bends from corner to corner). If it does not have the cross bracing then more than likely it's popping. Good Luck!!
    I can't really picture this. Can you describe it another way?
    Thanks

I have the same problem. I just changed my water heater (the old one had an internal leak), and I start to hear this drip sound in the exhaust vent (went into the attic, put my ear on the exhaust vent, and clearly hear the drip in the vent pipe like every 1~2 second couple of minutes after the burner is on).

Not sure it is a condensation issue or expansion/contraction issue, but I heard the suggestion of better insulation of the venting pipe. Mine is exposed in the attic. Anybody had the experience on the improvement after adding the insulation ? If so, what kind of insulation should I do ?

Let's put it this way --- you've been out driving your vehicle.

When you park and shut off the engine --- you get out of the vehicle there are tinking , clicking , tapping and other similar sounds.

These are from the metal components like the engine and exhaust that have been heated --- it's a metallic sound from expansion and contraction.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by gmyu View Post
    Not sure it is a condensation issue or expansion/contraction issue, but I heard the suggestion of better insulation of the venting pipe. Mine is exposed in the attic. Anybody had the experience on the improvement after adding the insulation ? If so, what kind of insulation should I do ?
    Follow-up on this : found out today that insulation should NOT be used around the venting pipe. In fact, min of 1" clearance to
    combustibles is required.

I am having the same issue in my master bedroom. It is only one vent which is strange. It is very on and off and is not around water pipes. I recently got my vents cleaned when I moved in which I would've thought taken care of things.

I am thinking it may be flexing because my water pipes flex and sound like dripping. It is so weird though because it is so similar to a dripping sound and it is very steady. I would think flexing would be more inconsistent.

Should I call the vent cleaner back? I want to cut up the floor because I wake up early and hear it and cant fall back to sleep

The sound of metal expanding and contracting is not the same as water dripping.
    To me the difference is: metal sound is inconsistent while water drip is somewhat consistent.
    Metal sound is nothing to worry about, and dripping sound is a cause for action, like insulate, replace ducts or look for signs of mold.

Hello,

I have the same annoying dripping sound from the duct in my master bedroom. Has anyone been able to solve this as yet?

Thanks

Natural gas contain a lot of hydrogen and when it burn turns into water. If it condenses in the exhaust vent you will hear it dripping and it could eventrually cause a puddle. Google condensing furnacs. A drain line might solve a leak caused by condensation that has collected in the bottom of the exhaust stack and is now dripping into the fire box or onto the floor. Changing the exhaust flue may solve the problem, but safely venting the exhaust is the most important issue. Oldfoggy.