+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Insulation

I have a second floor bedroom that does not have attic space above it, just the roof. I remodeled a several years ago and insulated the ceiling between the rafters. Shortly thereafter we had our roof redone. The roof contractor said we should not have insulated the ceiling because it could create moisture and lower the life of the shingles. A recent episode of the show showed the crew insulating roof rafters. I am confused. It is time to do some renovating and I am not sure if I need to remove the insulation which would require a complete tear out of the ceiling, drywall included. Any suggestions? I live in Northeast Pennsylvania and we usually have snowy winters. The roof for this room faces north.

Default Re: Ceiling Insulation

When you say "ceiling insulation", what comes to mind is insulation between the joists, which is code.

"Rafter insulation" done correctly is fine. Correctly means: with baffles (to allow air movement between the roof deck and the insulation, with ridge vent, gable vents and soffit vents. All of the above will prevent moisture, except when there a leak.

Is this a cathedral ceiling or a flat roof?

Do a google image search for "cold flat roof insulation" to get the idea of what DJ said

One more question, did you use a vapor barrier between the insulation and the ceiling? Normally in a well vented attic, you don't need one, but in a flat roof or cathedral ceiling, it is a must. If you have one, moisture build up will not be as big an issue.