+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: red tape for plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy watching Homes on Homes and they repeatedly use a red(duct tape) on the plastic to seal out air infiltration but i cannot find this product any body know its name and where to obtain it? Is it a Canadian product?
    By the way it's not duct ( duck ) tape.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    By the way it's not duct ( duck ) tape.
    If it looks like a duct and quacks like a duct ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Found tyvek tape at $14.00 per roll... Checked out the tyvek web page and it mentioned using acoustic caulk. Deupont caulk ok ed for tyvek nothiung on the tube about it being acustic or what it is @ $5 per tube. So at seams and bottom of wall why not use the caulk instead of the pricy tape? Anyone know why a 50 year silicone caulk would not work? Then i read that if in stalled under wood or cement siding with out a not lath strips the warranty is void.... never seen anyone install lath how about you all?
    The tape is rather salty, I agree. But it will stick to about anything. Truely a "poor" mans duct tape.
    Which brings the question, was duct tape manufactured for duct work? If so, why is it so crappy?
    Sorry about hijacking the post.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    The tape is rather salty, I agree. But it will stick to about anything. Truely a "poor" mans duct tape.
    Which brings the question, was duct tape manufactured for duct work? If so, why is it so crappy?
    Sorry about hijacking the post.....
    I ran across a little trivia on the origin of the cloth based duck tape that so many people are confused with. It was developed during the second world war for the military to meet the requirement to tape shut the ammunition boxes. It had to be durable and hold up under all sorts of environments including being wet. It was very successful that is was dubbed duck tape for it's ability to still work in wet conditions. At one time I believe duck tape was a brand name and somehow became known as duct tape or even gaffer's tape.
    It has a 1001 uses other than for ducting --- it eventually dries out and falls apart. Use it for repairing your boots but don't use it for ducting.
    - Rush

It was developed during the second world war for the military to meet the requirement to tape shut the ammunition boxes. It had to be durable and hold up under all sorts of environments including being wet. It was very successful that is was dubbed duck tape for it's ability to still work in wet conditions. .

my question is whose military? probally not canada's

Originally Posted by Timothy Miller
    Howdy watching Homes on Homes and they repeatedly use a red(duct tape) on the plastic to seal out air infiltration but i cannot find this product any body know its name and where to obtain it? Is it a Canadian product?
    Eh??? The housewrap tape isn't the same as duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Tim, 3m makes red duct tape. The only reason I know it is my sister in-law works for Grainger in there Corp Office. A couple yrs back Grainger had there new product vendor reviews in Orlando and she brought me some Vendor samples.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3365YETX4EF9CN
    He's not looking for DUCT ( DUCK ) tape , it's HOUSE WRAP tape he was inquiring about.
    They are NOT the same thing.

Ya know --- because duct ( duck ) tape comes in different colors perhaps it can be used for decorating --- one of the 1001 uses.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    my question is whose military? probally not canada's
    LOL --- watch it there buddy boy or we'll send down a squadron of Canada Geese to plant their land mines all over your lawn.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I must of missed something throughout the thread....I thought Tim mentioned Duct Tape.....

Sorry
    He was inquiring about house wrap tape but he confused it with the other type of tape.
    - Rush

LOL --- watch it there buddy boy or we'll send down a squadron of Canada Geese to plant their land mines all over your lawn.
    Too late, as they will be heading back your way soon. And doing what they do best all the way.