+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default red tape for plastic

Howdy watching Homes on Homes and they repeatedly use a red(duct tape) on the plastic to seal out air infiltration but i cannot find this product any body know its name and where to obtain it? Is it a Canadian product?

Default Re: red tape for plastic

Hewor Thim.

Now woo cahn haf wore werry own woll.

http://www2.northerntool.com/shop-su...em-1711472.htm

Whill woo plwease twape up wthat wassciwy wabbit when woo get?

Wed ish soooooooooooo much bwetter than gwey!

I see stucco guys using it all the time. Can't tell you what it is or where to get it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Can bats tell the difference between red and gray? I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    the red tape is called tuct tape or tyvek tape.. its found in just about every building supply,
    Nah, I think Tim was right the first time ... blame it on the Canadians!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Nah, I think Tim was right the first time ... blame it on the Canadians!
    LOL ------- I think you mean thanking the Canadians

Tuck is a brand name just like Tyvek, Kleenex , Windex , Walkman, etc. ------- you get the idea.

I remember the name from way back as a wee lad using Tuck's hockey tape.

here's their link ..........

http://www.cttgroup.com/cantech/en/details/135/

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    the red tape is called tuct tape or tyvek tape.. its found in just about every building supply,

places like home depot sell it and have stashes of it everywhere in the store, in the siding section, in the insulation section, in the paint isle where they keep all sorts of different tapes.

its used to seal two indifferent materials such as tyvek to wood, or plastic..

if your looking to seal vapour barrier the proper method is to use accoustical sealant between the two layers of plastic then tape the seam
    to add ----
    the ulimate way for sealing vapor barriers is to run hefty beads of acoustical sealant along the top plates ----- down each stud ---- along the bottom plates and the intersection of plate and floor ----- and as jkirk mentioned ..... the lap joints.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks guys for the information. I had already checked at the local Lowes and Home depot- neither place had the tape. I did find the web page for the red Tape made in Canada and emailed the US division to see if i can buy it here in good old USA. Went to Tyvek page and found out that they have a similar tape but again never seen it in either box store. So will try and locate it at a lumber supply....

Oh i also found Mike Holmes forum page an *** what a great source for more information and helpful posters, you all may want to check it out. PS thanks to the Canadians whom answered my questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Hewor Thim.

Now woo cahn haf wore werry own woll.

Whill woo plwease twape up wthat wassciwy wabbit when woo get?

Wed ish soooooooooooo much bwetter than gwey!

I get it ha ha

Found tyvek tape at $14.00 per roll... Checked out the tyvek web page and it mentioned using acoustic caulk. Deupont caulk ok ed for tyvek nothiung on the tube about it being acustic or what it is @ $5 per tube. So at seams and bottom of wall why not use the caulk instead of the pricy tape? Anyone know why a 50 year silicone caulk would not work? Then i read that if in stalled under wood or cement siding with out a not lath strips the warranty is void.... never seen anyone install lath how about you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Found tyvek tape at $14.00 per roll... Checked out the tyvek web page and it mentioned using acoustic caulk. Deupont caulk ok ed for tyvek nothiung on the tube about it being acustic or what it is @ $5 per tube. So at seams and bottom of wall why not use the caulk instead of the pricy tape? Anyone know why a 50 year silicone caulk would not work? Then i read that if in stalled under wood or cement siding with out a not lath strips the warranty is void.... never seen anyone install lath how about you all?
    Acoustic caulk doesnt harden, and will keep the seal with the possible weather conditions hitting it since stays wet.