+ Reply to Thread

Default Very Old Insulation

I have an attic with some very old insulation, it looks like charcoal and is silvery in color. I purchased some pink insulation and was wondering if I could just put it on top of what little old stuff that is there now. Would it be best to vacuum it up first. If I do vacuum it up is this stuff dangerous?
    My best guess is that it is at least 40 - 50 years old.

Default Re: Very Old Insulation

I'm curious if what you're describing isn't vermiculite which had some popularity around that time.
    Depending where it was originally processed there may be high of asbestos.
    Don't panic .... as long as you don't disturb it there shouldn't be a problem to lay the pink insulation over top. Just make sure to wear a mask when working up there.

Don't vacuum that stuff if it is vermiculite ... that would disturb it.

Cheers.

[QUOTE=Cush;4724]I have an attic with some very old insulation, it looks like charcoal and is silvery in color. I purchased some pink insulation and was wondering if I could just put it on top of what little old stuff that is there now. Would it be best to vacuum it up first. If I do vacuum it up is this stuff dangerous?
    My best guess is that it is at least 40 - 50 years old.[/QUOTE ]

In march 2007 I went to a home show in Pittsburgh and asked Tom Silva that EXACT QUESTION.His answer was to remove the old first so that the new insulation could be properly installed.Im sure i dont have to tell you how hard that was,and all the precautions I had to take(masks,disposal,etc).It was a tough,very dirty job.I am so glad its done.Good luck,and please be safe.

If you decide to remove the old you won't be safe if there is asbestos present without a full body suit and respirator. Take a sample to your county extension office for testing, or call them for a referral to a test facility. I'd be inclined to just leave it and overlay with the new, again, at the very least use a respirator designed to remove odor, a regular cheapy dust mask won't cut it.