+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dehumidifier

Default Dehumidifier

I keep going back and forth trying to decide if I need a dehumidifier or not. My unfinished basement does not have noticeable dampness or odor, but I have had Damp-Rid in the basement and it abosorbed water every time.

I have electronics in my bar area (TV/DVD player/stereo/etc), and these are my biggest reasons in thinking I need a duhumidifier. But they've been down there for 3 years and still work (why I think I don't).

Any advice?

Default Re: Dehumidifier

What is the humidity level now?

I have an inexpensive indoor thermometer that has an outdoor sensor/transmitter. It will read temperature and humidity both in and out. (Not relative humidity mind you, but that is another story for another time and not part of the plot in this story.)

Anyway, I watch it more than I thought I would. It has this little smiley face next to the humidity level which turns from a straight face when itís dry to a happy face when the humidity reaches somewhere around 30%. That does not happen very often in Colorado at 6,200 feet. It usually hangs at 10 to 15%

Maybe monitor your actual humidity levels for a while and see where youíre at.

Maybe some crown molding down there would deflect some humidity! LOLOLOLOL!

Default Re: Dehumidifier

If you don't have any "damp odors" or "sense" any dampness........I wouldn't worry about it too much. But as Kent suggested, a measurement of the RH is even better. 40% or so would be great for the wood structural members (floor joists, etc.); even 50% should be "okay".....IMO.