+ Reply to Thread

Default Wet crawlspace- I need some advice!

We have lived in our home for 4 years and had no idea it had a crawlspace. Seriously! So anyway, we had a home inspection and they discovered standing water on the vapor barrier (over a dirt floor).

Upon further inspection it was determined that the water was coming in where the main water pipe comes in the house. We had someone check the meter and they said the main pipe wasn't leaking. I "think" it's ground water coming in through the conduit that houses the main water pipe. We live at the base of the Cascades in the Seattle area (with lots of rain), on a hillside.

So...I've poked around ****** and found others with similar issues. Do you folks think I could plug the conduit with the hydronic cement (or whatver it's called)?

Also, the dirt under the vapor barrier is pretty wet in spots- is that a problem even if it's covered up? A shady plumbing company convinced us that we need a sump pump so have that in place...

Thank you!

Default Re: Wet crawlspace- I need some advice!

Howdy, yes hydrlogic cement sold anywhere cement in bags are sold will help stop the in flow of water by installing it around the pipe into the foundation. Be sure to check outside of the wall check to make sure any downspouts do not discharge into this area and if so add extension piping to get them 8 foot away. You can rent a pump to suck the standing water out. or if it is not too much a wet vac will work too.

The cement may address the water entering for a time, but this along with simply wet vac the existing water is a nad-aid repair to a larger problem. The house is sucking on the ground for air. The natural airflow of the house is from bottom to top. This is called the "stack effect". The standing water along with the natural earths moisture is being pulled into the living area and cause damage to the building materials. The best way to handle a crawlspace is to encapsulate the ground moisture away from the building envelope. This can be achieved by having a durable 20 mil product installed on the floor and walls. The foundation vents must be closed and the space dehumidified. You will notice a big difference on the first floor of the house along with an energy savings. Go to www.basementsystems.com and enter your zip code. They offer a free estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by crawlspacemd View Post
    The cement may address the water entering for a time, but this along with simply wet vac the existing water is a nad-aid repair to a larger problem. The house is sucking on the ground for air. The natural airflow of the house is from bottom to top. This is called the "stack effect". The standing water along with the natural earths moisture is being pulled into the living area and cause damage to the building materials. The best way to handle a crawlspace is to encapsulate the ground moisture away from the building envelope. This can be achieved by having a durable 20 mil product installed on the floor and walls. The foundation vents must be closed and the space dehumidified. You will notice a big difference on the first floor of the house along with an energy savings. Go to www.basementsystems.com and enter your zip code. They offer a free estimate.
    More spam.