+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom renovation

Current bathroom has a fiberglass combined tub and shower unit. Would like to remove unit and replace with a separate shower with tile walls and bench unit. Unclear whether sheetrock wall should be replaced with green, blue board or some other type material. What are the differences in materials? Also, what material should be used under ceramic tile floor?

Default Re: Bathroom renovation

Tile walls in a shower should be 1/2" cement board with a membrane applied to corners and seams. That includes the seat and any shampoo niche. IMHO I prefer manufactured seats and solid surface soap and shampoo holders. Floors have a variety of methods: shluter system, copper pans, pvc liner, and something I've been hearing about but am not educated on called hot-mopping. Use thinset and a premium grout. Liberally seal it and squeegee after showering. Good Luck

Shaun

Thanks for the response. Still not clear when green or blue board are used. Is blue and/or green board another name for cement board.

Blue and green board are forms of moisture resistant drywall. As I recall, code only allows their use over and around tubs and showers, they cannot be used for the tub/shower walls themselves because if they get wet, they deteriorate just like any other form of drywall. Other options would be to use cement backer board (brand name Durock ) or a fiber board (brand name HardiBacker ). When using these products, the joints are taped with fiberglass mesh and dry mixed joint compound. The dry mixed joint compound is more of a plaster type product and doesn't wash out like the redimix type drywall compounds if it gets wet.

I am not sure if blue board or green board would be permissible if you go with mortar set tile, where cement is mixed and applied to the wall under the tile.

As for tubs or pans with integrated seats, I've only used hot mop style, where the base is framed out in wood then tar paper and hot tar are applied to seal the pan and seat area. Over these hot mops I've always had mortar set tile installed.

If you go with a preformed fiberglass pan or tub, you'd install this before the wall covering is installed. The backer would be installed to the top edge of the tub/pan lip and the tile would install over the tub/pan lip. This prevents wicking of moisture from behind the tile at the tub/pan to wall intersection.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    denseshield is also used behind tile in shower and tubs that are custom built, this product is also used as a base for 2" foam which recieves dry-vit or stucco for exterior finish in commercial applicatins
    they are actually different products produced by the same manufacturer, densglass is for exterior and dengshield and densguard are tile backers.