Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cabinet quandry

Default Re: cabinet quandry

Why? How in the hell can you see anything beyond doors and and frames?

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Why? How in the hell can you see anything beyond doors and and frames?
    When the doors are opened you can see the interiors. If there are glass doors on the uppers it's in plain view all the time. From a personal standpoint, I know what melamine, photo-finish, and vinyl clad PB looks like and I think it's both hideous and looks fake. A lot of people don't know and don't care, I'm just not one of them, and apparently neither is Swampie.

Now stop being difficult before I have to send Jack and Havana over to your place for a little chat!
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

I have also done a lot of repairs on "quality" kraftmaid" lescare" all on pb cabinets coming apart on uppers that you don't have on plywood cabinets. sides coming loose from backs because of overweight

Havana, have you also seen a problem with the weight of stone tops on PB carcasses? Just asking, I've not experienced this particular issue.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Havana, have you also seen a problem with the weight of stone tops on PB carcasses? Just asking, I've not experienced this particular issue.
    on that aspect its not a factor. pb does fine

Thank you everyone for your comments. I guess I feel slightly better about keeping these cabinets although I suspect they will always evoke a negative emotion. As it turned out, the company's owner who was once a friend, decided that if I wanted to upgrade to plywood that I will have to purchase all new cabinets as well as absorbing the cost of the PB ones. I can't just pay the upgrade price. He said that I should have known that "Crystal" cabinets meant PB on that the quote I signed. I am the one who should have insisted on "Crystal Plus" if I wanted plywood. I wish now that I had not given the business to a friend as otherwise, I would probably be going to court over this. I never heard these terms before this incident.

We have put a lot into this kitchen. It was an addition and we purchased reclaimed lumber for the floors to keep with the age of the house and even had wood custom milled for the siding. The heating is radiant floor heating and the windows were all custom built or restored old ones that were updated with energy efficient glass. Every decision has been in keeping with the period for a 1850's farm house so to then get PB cabinets with melamine interiors is a blow. It is one of the major features to the kitchen.

I had once hoped that this kitchen would last for the rest of our lives but I now suspect that once we get it mostly paid off, we will be upgrading the cabinets with fully custom ones built by a local artisan. It kills me that I am already thinking of the next renovation for a kitchen that isn't even installed yet.

I do appreciate your advice and discussions over this issue.

My husband just asked one other question. Is it possible to put a wood veneer directly over the melamine? We would probably only do this on critical cabinets which are highly visible.

Quote Originally Posted by swampie View Post
    My husband just asked one other question. Is it possible to put a wood veneer directly over the melamine? We would probably only do this on critical cabinets which are highly visible.
    Yes, you may, with relative ease. If you're at all handy with a few tools, you could accomplish the task yourself.

Sorry for the loss of your "friend", who if they were a true friend, would have known what you wanted and made sure you got it. I do work for friends all the time and I make sure that their wishes are known to any subs or suppliers well before money changes hands or orders are taken.

Don't be worried by particle board cabinet boxes. Hopefully your designer ordered matching interiors on any open cabinets.
    There are benefits of particle board over plywood. Particle board is less likely to warp prior to installation and the cabinets are easier to install because the cabinets stay square. Also they cost less.
    There are some very high end companies that use particle board boxes. Heritage, Premier Custom Built and William Ohs.
    The only place I don't like a particle board cabinet is the sink cabinet. At some point your faucet or plumbing will get a leak and you wont know it until the bottom of your particle board cabinet is soaked with water.
    If I do have a particle board cabinet at the sink I order a flat sheet of stainless steel to line the bottom of the cabinet then silicone around the edges. Install and drill holes for plumbing before installing sink and countertop. The stainless is about $60 for a piece to fit a 36 sink base.

Quote Originally Posted by stlouiskitchenandbath View Post
    Particle board is less likely to warp prior to installation and the cabinets are easier to install because the cabinets stay square.
    Say WHAT?!?!? That has not been the case with any PB cabinet that I've installed. PB is less rigid than plywood so it does not have the ability to stay square and straight. I've also never experienced a plywood carcass being able to warp.