+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cabinet quandry

Default cabinet quandry

I ordered Crystal cabinets months ago. Yesterday they arrived and I was dismayed to see that the boxes were made out of particle board with melamine laminate and not plywood. They are custom line and I did ask at the beginning if the boxes were plywood. The solid wood fronts are beautiful and the construction is top-notch with really well built drawers. But when I look at the inside with the melamine, they look like the standard cabinets from a box store not a high quality line and I am worried about the particle board.

The supplier is willing to have them re-made but I will have to pay the upgrade to plywood boxes, approximately 40% increase so about $6000. I will also have to wait the additional time. The plywood box would have a maple veneer on them, the fronts are knotty alder with a chestnut finish.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy to insist on plywood boxes? Should I bite the bullet and pay the additional fee for a true custom grade cabinet? I am waiting to hear the exact upgrade fee.

Default Re: cabinet quandry

Does any of your original paperwork indicate the name of the salesman or that the cabinets were to be plywood and not PB?

You might be able to get the supplier to eat the cost of replacement IF you can prove you were told one thing and sold something else. Another leverage point is that they can make good on their sale OR they can keep the cabinets and you'll go elsewhere. The catch, of course, is that you have to be willing to go elsewhere. A third option would be to consult with several local custom cabinet shops for exactly what you want and see what the price difference is between paying the supplier's upgrade and what the local talent has to offer. I have found in my years in the trade that custom shops are very close in price to any custom junk you can purchase from a big box, the difference in price you're paying can usually be attributed to a substantially better product, and a product that you want, not settle for from a big box cookie cutter supplier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The original paperwork does not list box construction materials. The sales person is willing to take the cabinets back and replace if I pay the upgrade cost as she did remember my asking that question when we were first discussing which line I should go with. She dowsn't know when the swithc was made but she suspects that the kitchen designer put the standard line on his paperwork and it got transferred. My quote was written with the particle board consturction. Unfortunately, when I put my deposit down I did not question the construction as I was sure that all the cabinets were plywood from this line.

I didn't buy from a big box store, I bought from a local supplier for kitchen and bath products. They are trying to work with me and not saying "this is what you ordered so it is your problem".

Do you think a custom place would build just the boxes and put the front panels and drawers in them for about what I would have to pay to upgrade?

Thanks for your suggestions.

If you specifically asked for plywood cabinets and they switched the order, they should have to replace at no charge. Just my opinion.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by swampie View Post
    My quote was written with the particle board construction. Unfortunately, when I put my deposit down I did not question the construction as I was sure that all the cabinets were plywood from this line.
    I would say that you made a wrong assumption and there was misunderstanding on both sides. But, there it was in the quote and I would guess that you signed it at the time of purchase.

I would also say you got what you paid for and would have had an additional charge to go all plywood.

I guess my major question is are plywood boxes that important? I am not really questioning the increase in price although it kills me at this point in the renovation to have that big a jump.

the only issue is if they get wet. of course no one plans on plumbing to leak, but it does happen. so the question for me would be how long do you plan on keeping this house? and let that be the factor.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    the only issue is if they get wet. of course no one plans on plumbing to leak, but it does happen. so the question for me would be how long do you plan on keeping this house? and let that be the factor.
    Plumbing leaks will affect plywood as well.

not in the same way, a little water and plywood will dry out, where as particle board will either swell or at least get an orange peel look

In general, as Havana points out, a PB cabinet isn't that big a deal, they just look cheap and cheesy. The only time it really becomes a factor is if it's an upper cabinet with a lot of weight in it or hung from it, or if it gets wet. Again, generally, unless it's a massive and unchecked leak, the damage usually is relegated to the floor of the plumbing cabinet which can be replaced. I've replaced the floor in a lot of kitchen sink cabinets for this reason with little to no damage to the walls or surrounding cabinetry.

$6000 to upgrade to plywood seems a bit steep as well. From your previous post, you'll probably be better off just to accept what you've got. Trying to get a custom shop to build new carcasses for your fronts will likely double the cost because it's harder to do something over than it is to do it right the first time.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 11-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!