+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default codensation on walls-1920 house

    So what is the deal?
    In winter, walls have condensation on them.
    This is because they aren't insulated, right?
    If I tear down the walls and insulate then sheetrock
    it will stop, right? Right now plaster walls in a 1920
    farmhouse. Have new roof and 9" blown insulation in the attic last year as
    soon as we moved in. This is next project. One room at a time.
    I could blow in insulation but would like to rewire at same time.
    One room at a time. Any thoughts? What about mold? Is there a can
    of worms behind these walls?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,774

    Default Re: codensation on walls-1920 house

    Warm moist air hitting a cold surface you get condensation. You are less likely to have a mold problem with the plaster and lath plus plaster walls will generally out last drywall.

    High humidity may be the problem, ventless gas logs, if you have them, or gas stoves with no vent hood, output a lot of water vapor. You might want to consider dehumidifier.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,387

    Default Re: codensation on walls-1920 house

    Adding the attics blown in insulation may of created the additional humidity in the walls that use to migrate threw the attic.. I have read that cellulose insulation in the walls is not to have a vapor barrier when it is used- cellulose web page. If you have a humidifier on the furnace consider turning it off. As for mentioned a dehumidifier might also be a good choice. What type of insulation did you have blown in? I would suggest in the summer to have cellulose blown into the wall cavities too...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: codensation on walls-1920 house

    What kind of heating system do you have---and has it been cleaned & in good shape???

    How about the chimney & the things JLMC advised you to check???

    Are any family members complaining of headaches or flu-like symptoms??

    I would buy a carbon monoxide detector ($20) if I had wall or window condensation---small price for the peace of mind!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •