+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Porch

Wink Porch

I purchased a home built in the early 1900's. I am totally renovating the home myself. I am in the early planning stages of adding a wrap around open porch. Does anyone have any helpful hints or know where to find more information on the codes or how to's for attaching a porch to an existing structure.

Default Re: Porch

You need to check the local building codes. In most cases they will dictate what and how you attach the porch. In Columbus, Ohio where I am at they tell you how, the dimension of the boards and the size of the lag screws etc. you need to use. You most likely will have to have a building permit and the plans you submit must have this information on them. So I would start with my local government.

Same here in Georgia. The local building inspector can give you some good advice and ideas. You didn't say where you are but if it's anywhere you can use the porch most of the year, be sure to install high volume ceiling fans. My porch goes all the way around except for right in front of the garage doors and I have 22 fans. Long overhangs and light reducing metal screens combined with the fans make the porch a good place to spend a lazy afternoon. Keep everything smooth, no little corners or places to catch dust and use a good outdoor alkyd paint for maximum enjoyment.

When you attatch the ledger to the home, be sure to stand it off from the home at least 3/4". And make sure you flash it correctly to shed water away from the framing.
    Last edited by ChicagoMike; 06-10-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling