+ Reply to Thread

Default buckled floors tripping hazard update and question about fixing floors

Hi,
    I had writeen a post about my buckling hardwood floors that no one could figure out what was causing it. the buckles are so bad some are four to six inches tall with the tongue and groove exposed and split.
    it turns out after having everyone out including a plumber it was a leak. the first plumber missed it.

it took a very nice AC person to crawl under the house and find that it was a leaking toilet which tured out to be a bad phalange (sp?)
    so now the leak is fixed and i have to deal with the floors.
    does anyone have any ideas on if the floors will return to normal, and how long to give them.
    also, i guess i'm going to have to move everything out of the house while they fix the floors since it is now the entire house? or can they do half the house at a time. and i have animals, how do they keep the hair off when they seal the floor???
    any suggestions or help with the floor woould be appreciated.
    thanks!
    Diane

Default Re: buckled floors tripping hazard update and question about fixing floors

diane,

No, those floors are not going to settle back into place/cure themselves. Not when they're that bad.

Tear them up as soon as possible would be my advice. It's wet under there and the longer it remains so, the greater the damage to the subfloor and the probabilty of starting a thriving colony of mold, etc. Although..........I suspect that you'll be replacing alot of subfloor as it is. But.....as regards the now damp/wet areas of subfloor that can/might be saved......that needs to be competely dried out also before you lay the new flooring. Fans and a dehumidfier would be in order.

Some floor finishes will flash off and become immune to hair and dust actually setting up into the finish faster than others, but the bottom line is that the animals should be kept away from the area during the entire finishing process.

Default Re: buckled floors tripping hazard update and question about fixing floors

thank you!